Meet the Faculty
Visiting Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies
- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.A., Loyola Marymount University
- B.A., Vangard University
- Contemporary American Literature
- Jewish Literature
- Literary Studies
- Post-WWII German Film
- Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Holocaust and World Culture at UCLA 2008-2010
- Co-Founder of North American Levinas Society
- School of Criticism and Theory at Cornell University (2007)
- President of Modern Language Association Jewish-American Literature Discussion Group (2011)
- 20th- and 21st-Century American Literature
- American Comedy
- Emmanuel Levinas
- Ethics and Representation
- Hebrew Bible
- Holocaust Literature and Film
- Jewish Literature and Culture
- Post-9/11 Fiction
- Post-WWII German Film
- "Judaism's Third Pillar." The New Republic (The Book). 2012 http://www.newrepublic.com/book/review/third-pillar-geoffrey-hartman#
- "Springtime For Hitler." The New Republic (The Book): 2011. http://www.newrepublic.com/book/review/dead-funny-humor-hitler-germany-holocaust-rudolph-herzog
- "Hollywood Rabbi: Probing the Never-Ending Questions of Woody Allen." Companion to Woody Allen. Eds. Peter J. Bailey and Sam Girgus. 2013
- "Making the Wound Visible: On Midrash and Catastrophe." Religion and Literature 43.2 Special Editor, Alicia Suskin Ostriker. 2011
- "Magic and Horror: The Short Fiction of Steve Stern and Nathan Englander." Unfinalized Moments: Essays in the Development of Contemporary Jewish-American Fiction. Ed. Derek Parker Royal. Purdue UP: 2011
- "Reading Darkness: The Key, the Letter, and the Beginning." Introduction to special issue on Levinas and Narrative. Co-written with Sandor Goodhart. Modern Fiction Studies 54.1 (2008). 1-19
- "The Midrashic Impulse: Reading Cynthia Ozick's Heir to the Glimmering World Against Representation." Studies in American Jewish Literature 26 (2007): 21-34.
- WJSA (Western Jewish Studies Association), Los Angeles 2013, "Laughter and the Ethical in a Post-Holocaust World"
- NALS (North American Levinas Society), Anchorage, Alaska, 2012, "Levinas and Lebanon: Reading Love, War, Land, and Identity in One Israeli Film."
- BINA Los Angeles, 2011 "Dropping the H(olocaust)-Bomb: The Ethics of Post-9/11 Comedy" http://www.binala.org/talks/dropping-holocaust-bomb-ethics-post-911-comedy
- Trauma Conference (New Approaches to Trauma: Bridging Theory and Practice), Arizona State University, 2010. "Making the Wound Visible: On Representation and Catastrophe."
- NALS (North American Levinas Society), Toulouse, France, 2010. "Interrupting Violence: The Photography of Adi Nes."
- "After Representation: On Metonymy and Catastrophe," UCLA Symposium: Aesthetics after the Holocaust, February 2010
- ALA (American Literature Association), San Francisco, CA, 2010. "On Midrash and Disaster: The Post- Holocaust Fiction of Anne Michaels."
- AJS (Association of Jewish Studies), Los Angeles, CA, 2009, Organized Panel: "Midrash and Memory: New Responses to the Holocaust in the Work of Dara Horn, Ehud Havazelet, and Anne Michaels" to Presentation: "Revealing the Wound About Which We Cannot Speak: Fugitive Pieces and the Midrashic Impulse."
- AJS (Association of Jewish Studies), Los Angeles, CA, 2009, Roundtable Participant: "Continental Philosophy and the Demand of Jewish Literature," with Adam Zachary Newton, Menachem Feuer, and Sandor Goodhart.
- Jewish American and Holocaust Literature Symposium, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, "Bearing (False) Witness: Survivor and Second Generation Narratives in Anne Michaels' Fugitive Pieces."
- MLA (Modern Language Association) Conference, San Francisco, CA, December, 2008, "Midrash, Tradition, and the Holocaust: A Re-Examination of the Work of Cynthia Ozick."
- Jewish American and Holocaust Literature Symposium, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2008, "Midrash and the Work of Dara Horn."
- NALS (North American Levinas Society), Seattle, WA, September 2008, "Throwing Commandment Overboard: Levinas and Dara Horn's In the Image"
- NALS (North American Levinas Society) Conference, Purdue University, June 2007, "Murderous Ethics in Krzysztof Kieslowski's A Short Film About Killing"
- ALA (American Literature Association) Conference, Boston, MA, May 2007, "Against Representation: Cynthia Ozick, E.L. Doctorow, and Midrashic Thinking"
- MLA (Modern Language Association) Conference, Philadelphia, PA, Dec. 2006 "So that speaking might not stop at the word": Silence, Midrash, and Holocaust Representation"