Associate Professor of History
Humanities Program Coordinator
Humanities/Teacher Education Division, Seaver College
- PhD, Modern European History, University of California, Los Angeles, 2003
- MA, Modern European History, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999
- BA, Spanish, Texas Tech University, 1996
- Manuscript under review: The Penultimate Messiah: The Legend of the Last World Emperor Through the Ages. (Draft under review.)
- Judging Maria de Macedo: A Female Visionary and the Inquisition in Early Modern Portugal. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 2011.
- "The Declinación of the Hidden One: Encubertismo During the Reigns of the Later Spanish Habsburgs." In Iberia: Worlds of Communication and Conflict. Turnhout: Brepols, forthcoming.
- "'All Things to All Men': Political Messianism in Late-Medieval and Early Modern Spain." In Authority and Spectacle in Medieval and Early Modern Europe: Essays in Honor of Teofilo Ruiz. Abingdon-on-Thames: Ashgate, 2017. 58-70.
- "The St. Paul of Sebastianism: Tracing the Millenarian Legacy of Dom João de Castro," Portuguese Studies Review 17, no. 1 (March 2010): 1-20.
- "Sebastianism in Theory and Practice in Early Modern Portugal." In Braudel Revisited: The Mediterranean World, 1600-1800. Eds. Teofilo Ruiz, Geoffrey Symcox, and Gabriel Piterberg. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2010.
- Review of Baptism, Brotherhood, and Belief in Reformation Germany: Anabaptism and Lutheranism, 1525-1585, by Kat Hill. Stone-Campbell Journal 20, no. 1 (Spring 2017).
- Review of Power and Corruption in the Early Modern Portuguese World, by Erik Lars Myrup. In Bulletin of Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies 40, no. 1 (2015).
- Review of The Persecution of the Jews and Muslims of Portugal: King Manuel I and the End of Religious Tolerance (1496-7), by François Soyer. In the ASPHS Bulletin 38, no 1 (2013).
- Fulbright Researcher, Portugal, 2001-2002
- Robert I. Burns Lecturer in Iberian History, UCLA, 2003
- Member, American Historical Association
- Member, Society for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies
- Early Modern Popular Religion
- Early Modern Social and Cultural History
- Early Modern Spain and Portugal
- Millenarianism and Messianism
- The Inquisition
- Ancient History
- Medieval History
- The Renaissance
- The Reformation and Counter-Reformation
- The Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment
- Early Modern Europe
- Spanish History
- The European Witch-Hunt