Fiona M. Stewart
Fiona M. Stewart is Assistant Professor of Italian and Coordinator of Italian at Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA. Her MA and her PhD are from the University of Glasgow. Prior to joining the Pepperdine faculty in 2013, she taught at the University of Glasgow, the University of Kentucky and the Pennsylvania State University. In her research Professor Stewart combines literary, historical and cinematic sources to analyze how and why Italians of the twentieth and twenty-first century recount and interpret individual and national experiences. This interdisciplinary approach allows her research to contribute new knowledge both to well-studied and lesser-known individual and collective Italian experiences.
- PhD Italian, University of Glasgow, 2007
- MA (Hons.) Italian & Latin, University of Glasgow, 2000
- Stewart, Fiona M. "Myth-making on the Margins: Nuto Revelli's Record of Italian Experience on the Russian Front." Italian Quarterly, vol. 52, September 2018. [Forthcoming]
- Stewart, Fiona M. "Guerra civile: Experience, Memory and Contrasting Histories of the Resistance in Italy." Journal of Modern Italian Studies, vol. 23, no. 3, 2018, 293-312.
- Stewart, Fiona M. "'We will build a better world together': Female Partisans' Memories of their Resistance to Fascism (1943-1945)." Italian Women at War: Sisters in Arms From the Unification to the Twentieth Century, edited by Susan Amatangelo, Farleigh Dickinson University Press, August 2016, 111-130.
- Stewart, Fiona M. "Libera nos a malo: Violence and Hope, Image and Word in Rossellini's Roma città aperta." California Italian Studies, vol. 6, no. 2, January 2016.
- Stewart, Fiona M. "The Interaction of Methodology with an 'impegno del dopo' in Nuto Revelli's Collections of Oral Testimonies." Modern Italy, vol. 13, no. 1, February 2008, 51-68.
- Stewart, Fiona M. Review of Voci dal lager: Diari e lettere di deportati politici 1943–1945, by Marco Avagliano and Marco Palmieri. Journal of Modern Italian Studies, vol. 19, no. 4, 2014, 491-492.
- Stewart, Fiona M. Review of Oral History, Oral Culture, and Italian Americans, edited by Luisa Del Giudice. Modern Italy, vol. 17, no. 2, 2012, 279-280.
- Stewart, Fiona M. Review of The Italian Resistance: Fascists, Guerrillas and the Allies, by Tom Behan. Modern Italy, vol. 16, no. 1, 2011, 96-98.
- Stewart, Fiona M. Review of Arduous Tasks. Primo Levi, Translation, and the Transmission of Holocaust Testimony, by Lina N. Insana. Forum Italicum, vol. 44 no. 2, Fall 2010, 583-585.
- "Contadini in divisa: The Impact of Conscription on Rural Piedmont's contadini, In Their Own Words," American Association for Italian Studies Conference, Sant'Anna Institute, Sorrento, 14-17 June 2018.
- "All'incrocio fra i contadini, la coscrizione, la tecnologia e la Public History," Associazione italiana di Public History, Pisa, 11-15 June 2018.
- "Myth-making? Nuto Revelli's Record of Italian Experience on the Russian Front," NYU Workshop: The Military, Culture, and Power, NYU, 28-29 April 2017.
- "Guerra civile: A Civil Disagreement in which Both Revelli and Pavone are Vindicated?", American Association for Italian Studies Conference, The Ohio State University, 20-22 April 2017.
- "Global Competence and High-Impact Practices in the World Language Classroom," American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages Convention, San Diego, 20-22 November 2015.
- "Libera nos a malo: Violence and Hope in Italian Representations of World War II," American Association for Italian Studies Conference, University of Colorado, Boulder, 26-29 March 2015.
- "Practice Makes Perfect: Encouraging Learning through Online Production of Italian," North East Modern Language Association Convention, Harrisburg, PA, 3-6 April 2014.
- '"Think!" Encouraging 'Deep' Learning through Blogging', American Association for Italian Studies Conference, University of Pittsburgh, 7-10 April 2011
- 'Io ricordo con infinita nostalgia la mia esperienza partigiana. In banda non ero una donna ma una sorella': Rose-tinted specs? American Association for Italian Studies Conference, St John's University, NYC, 7-10 May 2009
- 'Il terremoto dell'industrializzazione: the economic boom and the rural communities of Piedmont', Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, University of Kentucky, 16-18 April 2009
- 'Italiani brava gente? Nuto Revelli's portrayal of Italian behaviour during WWII', Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, University of Kentucky, 17– 19 April 2008
- 'Innovative Historian or scrittore impegnato: Nuto Revelli's Approach to the Collection and Publication of Oral Testimonies', American Association for Italian Studies Conference, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 14– 17 April 2005
- Twentieth Century Italy
- Interpretation and representation of Italian experience
- Works and methodology of Nuto Revelli
- Italian cinema
- Filmmaking of Roberto Rossellini
- GSCL 199: First Year Seminar: Excursions in Italian Culture
- ITAL 151: Elementary Italian I
- ITAL 152: Elementary Italian II
- ITAL 252: Second Year Italian II
- ITAL 341: Advanced Italian Grammar and Composition
- ITAL 342: Italian in Communication
- ITAL 361: Italian Literature through Film: From the Novel to the Screen
- ITAL 380: Italian Civilization
- ITAL 451: Contemporary Italian Literature
- ITAL 452: Topics in Italian Culture: Primo Levi – Writer and/or Witness?
- FILM/ITAL 462: Italian Cinema from Neorealism to the Present
- ITAL 499: Directed Studies: Making Sense of Contemporary Realities
- ITAL 599: Directed Studies: Literary Responses to C20th Realities
- ITAL 599: Directed Studies: Reading Calvino through a Christian Lens