Associate Professor of English
Director of First-Year Writing Program
Humanities/Teacher Education Division, Seaver College
- PhD, English and Education, University of Michigan, 2009
- MFA, Creative Writing, University of Pittsburgh, 2003
- BA, English, Indiana University, 2000
- "Student Perspectives on Faith in the Classroom: Religious Discourses and Rhetorical Possibilities." Pedagogy (2017).
- "Mediating Discursive Worlds: When Academic Norms and Religious Belief Conflict." College English (2017).
- "Critical Reflection and Qualitative Data: A Hybrid Methodology for Studying Religious Rhetorics." In Mapping Christian Rhetorics (Routledge Press, 2014).
- "Are They Empowered Yet?: Opening Up Definitions of Critical Pedagogy." Composition Forum (Spring 2014).
- "A Review of Discourse Analysis in Literacy Research: Equitable Access." Reading Research Quarterly (2010).
- Council of Writing Program Administrators
- Modern Language Association
- Conference on College Composition and Communication
- National Council of Teachers of English
- "A Muslim, a Jew, and an Atheist Walk into a Christian University...: Religious Institutions as Sites of Rhetorical Possibility" Rhetoric & Religion in the 21st Century, Knoxville, TN, October 2018
- "'He Who Keeps Them Awake': A Native American Rhetor Addresses the Composition Classroom" Conference on College Composition and Communication, Houston, TX, April 2016
- "Sustaining WAC/WID through Interdisciplinary Assessment," Council of Writing Program Administrators, Boise, ID, July 2015
- "'Bad' English: Moving Past the (Mythical) Standard to Acknowledge Linguistic Diversity." Christians on Diversity in the Academy, Azusa, CA, March 2014
- "Critical Reflection and Qualitative Data: A Hybrid Methodology for Studying Religious Rhetorics," Conference on College Composition and Communication, Las Vegas, NV, March 2013
- "A Muslim Student, a Jewish Temple...and an Academic Argument?: Rethinking the Contested Role of Religion in the Composition Classroom." Conference on College Composition and Communication, Atlanta, GA, April 2011
- "Rethinking Christianity: Problematizing the Language We Use to Argue about Faith," Conference on College Composition and Communication, Louisville, KY, March 2010
- "When God's Word Isn't Good Enough: Addressing the Tensions between Academic Norms and Christian Discourses in the Composition Classroom"
- Conference on College Composition and Communication, San Francisco, CA, March 2009
- "'Are You There, God? It's Me, a Writing Student': Religious Identity in the Writing Classroom" Conference on College Composition and Communication, New Orleans, LA, April 2008
- "Locating Authority: A Cross-Disciplinary Conversation on Feminist Pedagogy" National Women's Studies Association Conference, Oakland, CA, June 2006
- "Making Authority Visible: Re-Centering the Student in the Composition Classroom" Conference on College Composition and Communication, Chicago, IL, March 2006
- Composition and Rhetoric
- Creative Writing
- Language and Gender
- Religion and Higher Education
- First-Year Composition
- Advanced Composition
- Language Theory
- Professional Writing
- Rhetorical Theory
- Creative Writing