Dr. David Madden is an Assistant Professor of Screen Arts in the Communication Division at Pepperdine University. He earned a PhD in Communication Studies from Concordia University and has completed a FRQSC Postdoctoral Fellowship in Music and Sound Studies at Carleton University, as well as a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship with Aging + Communication + Technologies (ACT) at Concordia University. Much of his research considers the cultural aspects of sound and electronic music from the intersections of history, practice, aging and gender. His scholarship is also informed by his work as a musician, music producer, community arts practitioner and media artist. Currently, Dr. Madden is undertaking a microhistory of the performers of the ondes Martenot (an early electronic musical instrument), writing a historical book on electronic music for McGill-Queen's University Press, and pursuing research-creation projects in the areas of sound art, soundscape composition and electronic dance music. This research-creation work, as well, includes developing digital literacy programs for older adults and producing music that crosses screens, dance floors and media.
- Postdoc, (ACT) – SSHRC, Concordia University
- Postdoc, Music and Sound Studies, Institute for Comparative Studies in Literature, Art and Culture – FRQSC, Carleton University
- PhD, Communication Studies, Concordia University
- MA, Media Studies, Concordia University
- GrDip, Communication Studies, Concordia University
- BA, Political Science, McGill University
- Madden, D. "Ageing with Waves." A Senior Moment: Cultural Mediations of Memory and Ageing. Eds. L. Grenier and F. Valois-Nadeau. Transcript-Verlag, (2020).
- Madden, D. "Ageing with EDMC." Guest Edited Special Issue of Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music 11.1 (2019).
- Madden, D. et al. "The NDGSCC Storytelling Workshop" (2018). https://actproject.ca/act/the-ndgscc-storytelling-workshop/
- Madden, D. "Sound/Tracking Montreal's Underground City." Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 11.1 (2017).
- Madden, D. "Bonaventure Parade." Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 11.1 (2017). https://soundcloud.com/ravedm/soundtracking-montreals-undergroud-city-bonaventure-parade/
- Madden, D. "DJ Mini and Montreal's Vulgar Dance Music." Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music 8.1 (2016).
- Madden, D., and Chazan, M. "Aging Activisms Media Capsules Series" (2016). https://www.agingactivisms.org/montreal-media-capsules/
- Madden, D. "What is Mobilities (WIM)?" Guest Edited Special Issue of Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 8.1 (2014).
- Madden, D. "Advocating Sonic Restoration: Les ondes Martenot in Practice." Wi: Journal of Mobile Media 7.1 (2013).
- Madden, D. et al. "What is Mobilities (WIM)?" (2013). http://www.mobilities.ca/wim/
- Madden, D. "Cross-dressing to Backbeats: The Status of the Electroclash Producer and the Politics of Electronic Music." Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music 4.2 (2012).
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, SSHRC and ACT, 2016–2018
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, FRQSC, 2014–2016
- Dissertation Accelerator Award, Concordia University, 2013
- Electronic Music
- Sound Studies
- Popular Music Studies
- Media Studies
- Age Studies
- Gender Studies
- Community Arts
- History of Screen Arts
- Screen Arts Sound Design
- Stories that Matter