Associate Professor of History
History Program Director
Humanities/Teacher Education Division, Seaver College
- PhD, History, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
- MA, Educational Ministries, Wheaton College, 2000
- BA, Linguistics, Northwestern University, 1993, with departmental honors
- "The Monster in the Corner of the Map: Russian Visitors Describe Nature on Sakhalin Island (1850-1905)," Environment and History, online 1 April 2019, https://doi.org/10.3197/096734019X15463432086900. Forthcoming in print.
- "'The Highest Limit of Statesmanship': Ritterian Geography and Russian Exploration of the Amur River Basin, 1849-1853," Sibirica: Journal of Siberian Studies 14, no. 2 (Summer 2015), 1-28.
- "'Sakhalin -- Ostrov!': Meniaiushchiesia Myslennye Karty Priamur'ia, 1848-1855 gg." ["Sakhalin is an Island!": The Changing Mental Maps of the Priamur, 1848-1855], Rossiia i ATR 2014, no. 4, 109-119. (in Russian) Available here
- "A Land Divided: Sakhalin and the Amur Expedition of G.I. Nevel'skoi, 1848-1855," Journal of Historical Geography 45 (July 2014), 70-81.
- "Sakhalinskaia katorga i mezhdunarodnaia tiuremnaia reforma" [Sakhalin Penal Servitude and International Prison Reform]. In A.P. Chekhov i Sakhalin—vzgliad iz XXI-go stoletiia [A.P. Chekhov and Sakhalin--A View from the 21st Century], ed. M.S. Vysokov, 35-42. Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia, 2011.
- Co-edited with Toivo Pilli. Eastern European Baptist History: New Perspectives. Prague: International Baptist Theological Seminary, 2007.
- "The Gospel in Society: Pashkovite Social Outreach in Late Imperial Russia." In Eastern European Baptist History: New Perspectives, ed. by Sharyl Corrado and Toivo Pilli, 52-70. Prague: IBTS, 2007.
- Filosofiia sluzheniia polkovnika V.A. Pashkova [The Philosophy of Ministry of Colonel V.A. Pashkov]. Translated by M.S. Karetnikova. St. Petersburg: Bibliia dlia vsekh, 2005.
Essay and Book Review
- Review of Ministries of Compassion Among Russian Evangelicals, 1905-1929, by Mary Raber. Occasional Papers on Religion in Eastern Europe 36, no. 5 (2016), 96-100. Available here
- Review of On the Edge: Baptists and Other Free Church Evangelicals in Tsarist Russia, 1855-1917, by Albert W. Wardin, Jr. East-West Church & Ministry Report 22, no. 4 (Fall 2014). Available here
- Review of Russian America: An Overseas Colony of a Continental Empire, 1804-1867, by Ilya Vinkovetsky. Ab Imperio (August 2012).
- Review of California Through Russian Eyes, 1806-1848, comp., trans., and ed. by James R. Gibson. Historical Geography: An Annual Journal of Research, Commentary, and Reviews 42 (2014).
- Review of Communities of the Converted: Ukrainians and Global Evangelism, by Catherine Wanner. Religion, State, and Society 37 (August 2009).
- Seaver Research Council Grant, Pepperdine University. For archival research in Russia and Uzbekistan, Summer 2020.
- Dean's Research Grant, Pepperdine University. For archival research in Switzerland, Summer 2019.
- Travel Grant and Research Stipend for the Summer Research Laboratory in Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies at the University of Illinois. June 2018.
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. In residence at the Slavic Research Center of Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan. June-Dec. 2012
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Award (DDRA), 2004-2005
- Russian History
- Modern European History
- Historical Geography
- Environmental History
- Cross-Cultural Encounters
- Popular Religion
- Global Environmental History
- Imperialism and Colonialism
- Nineteenth-Century Europe
- Twentieth-Century Europe
- Western Culture III
- World Regional Geography