Krista has been an adjunct instructor in the natural science division since fall 2014. She primarily teaches general education biology courses. Krista’s research is in the area of science education for non-science majors, specifically science identity and scientific literacy.
- PhD, UC Santa Barbara, 2021
Lucas, K. L. & Roberts, S. A. (Accepted). Undergraduates’ sense of belonging, community, and support at a Title V center. Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice.
Lucas, K. L. & Spina, A. D. (Accepted). The development of science identity and its implications for STEM retention and career aspirations through a research-based first year biology seminar. Journal of College Science Teaching.
Macias, M., Lucas, K., Nation, J., Arevalo, E., Marckwordt, J., & Harlow, D. B. (2020). Magnetism, light, structures, and rotational motion: Mixed-methods study of visitors engaging with four exhibits at a science museum. Proceedings of the 2019 Physics Education Research Conference [Provo, UT, July 24-25, 2019], edited by Y. Cao, S. Wolf, and M. B. Bennett [Refereed conference proceeding] https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2019.pr.Macias_M
Roberts, S. A., Lucas, K., & Panela, H. (2019). Development of professional vision in mathematics transfer students at a four-year research university. Proceedings of the 2019 Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME-NA) [St. Louis, MO, November 14-17, 2019], edited by S. Otten, A. G. Candela, Z. de Araujo, C. Haines, and C. Munter [Refereed conference proceeding]
- Lucas, K.L. (2021). The use of 3-D modeling and printing to teach the central dogma of molecular biology. Science Activities.
- Lucas, K.L. & Lucas, T.A. (2020). Using Slopes to enhance learning in ordinary differential equations. Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies.
- Roberts, S.A. & Lucas, K.L. (2020). A Title V Center as a counterspace for underrepresented minority and first-generation college students. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education.
- Award for Excellence in Research, UCSB Gevirtz Graduate School of Education 2020
- STEM Identity and Scientific Literacy in Non-Science Majors, 2021, American Educational Research Association annual meeting
- STEM education
- Non-Science Majors
- First-Generation College Students