Randall D. Chesnutt
Professor of Religion
William S. Banowsky Chair in Religion
Religion and Philosophy Division, Seaver College
- PhD, New Testament and Christian Origins, Duke University, 1986
- ThM, Duke University, 1980
- MA, Harding University Graduate School of Religion, 1980
- MTh, Harding University Graduate School of Religion, 1976
- BA, Alabama Christian College, School of Religion, 1973
- Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 2069 and the Compositional History of 1 Enoch, Journal of Biblical Literature 129 (2010) 485-505. pdf
- The Wisdom of Solomon, Commentaries on Early Jewish Literature, (Berlin: Walter De Gruyter, in progress).
- Perceptions of Oil in Early Judaism and the Meal Formula in Joseph and Aseneth, Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha, 14 (2005) 113-32. pdf
- George Nickelsburg's Jewish Literature Between the Bible and the Mishnah: Retrospect and Prospect, in G. W. E. Nickelsburg in Perspective: An Ongoing Dialogue of Learning, Jacob Neusner and Alan J. Avery-Peck, eds., 2 vols., Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism 80. Leiden: Brill, 2003. Vol. 2, pp. 343-56. pdf
- Covenant and Cosmos in Wisdom of Solomon 10-19, in The Concept of the Covenant in the Second Temple Period, eds. Stanley E. Porter and Jacqueline C. R. de Roo. Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism 71. Leiden: Brill, 2003. Pp. 223-49. pdf
- The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Meal Formula in Joseph and Aseneth: From Qumran Fever to Qumran Light, in The Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls, ed. J. H. Charlesworth. 3 vols., (Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2006). Vol. 2, pp. 397-425.
- Prayers in the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, in Prayer from Alexander to Constantine: A Critical Anthology, ed. Mark Kiley et al. London/New York: Routledge, 1997. Pp. 38-42. (Co-authored with Judith H. Newman).
- Prayer of a Convert to Judaism: Joseph and Aseneth 12-13, in Prayer from Alexander to Constantine: A Critical Anthology, ed. Mark Kiley et al. London/New York: Routledge, 1997. Pp. 65-72.
- From Text to Context: The Social Matrix of Joseph and Aseneth, in Society of Biblical Literature 1996 Seminar Papers, ed. K. H. Richards. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1996. Pp. 285-302. pdf
- From Death to Life: Conversion in Joseph and Aseneth, Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha Supplement Series 16. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press, 1995.
- Jewish Women in the Greco-Roman Era, in Essays on Women in Earliest Christianity, vol. 1, ed. Carroll Osburn. Joplin, MO: College Press, 1993. Pp. 93-130. pdf
- Revelatory Experiences Attributed to Biblical Women in Early Jewish Literature, in 'Women Like This': New Perspectives on Jewish Women in the Greco-Roman World, ed. A.-J. Levine, Early Judaism and Its Literature 1. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1991. Pp. 107-25. pdf
- Bread of Life in Joseph and Aseneth and in John 6, in Johannine Studies in Honor of Frank Pack, ed. J. E. Priest. Malibu, CA: Pepperdine University Press, 1989. Pp. 1-16.
- The Social Setting and Purpose of Joseph and Aseneth, Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha 2 (1988) 21-48. pdf
- William S. Banowsky Chair in Religion, 2000-present
- Member, Catholic Biblical Association, 1996-present
- Member, Society of Biblical Literature
- Co-chair, Pseudepigrapha Section (national) 1997-2003
- Chair, Judaism in the Greco-Roman Era Section (Pacific Coast Regional) 1986-90; 1992-present
- Member, Enoch Seminar, 2011-present
- Editorial Board, Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha Supplement Series, 1996-2004
- Editorial Board, Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha, 1989-present
- Editorial Board, Library of Second Temple Studies, 2004-present
- Hellenistic Greek Language and Literature
- Judaism 200 B.C. to A.D. 200
- New Testament and Christian Origins
- History and Religion of Early Christianity
- Elementary New Testament Greek
- Intermediate Greek
- The World of the New Testament
- The Synoptic Gospels