Dr. Tan's research focuses on applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism in healthy individuals and in athletes. Specifically, her interest is in the influence of dietary interventions that manipulate nitric oxide bioavailability and the associated effects on human exercise performance and markers of health.
Dr. Tan has investigated the efficacy of dietary nitrate supplementation, administered by nitrate-rich beetroot juice, on the physiological responses during exercise and its ergogenic potential measuring from the cellular to whole-body level. She has also investigated other nutritional ergogenic aids, such as N-Acetylcysteine, on further elevating nitric oxide bioavailability.
- PhD Sports and Health Science, University of Exeter, United Kingdom, 2019
- MS Sports and Health Science, University of Exeter, United Kingdom, 2015 (distinction)
- BSc Kin. Honors, McMaster University, Canada, 2014 (summa cum laude)
- Tan, R., Wylie, L.J., Wilkerson, D.P., Vanhatalo, A., Jones, A.M. (2022). Effects of dietary nitrate on the O2 cost of submaximal exercise: accounting for ‘noise’ in pulmonary gas exchange measurements. Journal of Sports Science. Mar 18, 1-9 doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2022.2052471
- Tan, R., Cano, L., Lago-Rodriguez, A., Dominguez, R. (2022) The effects of dietary nitrate supplementation on explosive exercise performance: a systematic review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 19(2), 762. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19020762
- Baranauskas, M.N., Freemas, J.A., Tan, R., Carter, S.J. (2021). Moving beyond inclusion: methodological considerations for menstrual cycle and menopause in research evaluating the effects of dietary nitrate on vascular function. Nitric Oxide. 118, 39-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.niox.2021.11.001
- Rodriguez, A.L., Dominguez, R., Ramos-Alvarez, J.J., Tobal, F.M., Jodra, P., Tan, R., Bailey, S.J. (2020). The effect of dietary nitrate supplementation on isokinetic torque in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrients. 12(10): 3022. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12103022
- San Juan, A.F., Dominguez, R., Lago-Rodriguez, A., Montoya, J.J., Tan, R., Bailey, S.J. (2020). Effects of dietary nitrate supplementation on weightlifting exercise performance in healthy adults: a systematic review. Nutrients. 12(8): 2227. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12082227
- Clark, I., Vanhatalo, A., Thompson, C., Joseph, C., Black, M. I., Blackwell, J. R., Wylie, L. J., Tan, R., Bailey, S. J., Wilkins, B., Kirby, B., Jones, A. M. (2019). Plasticity of the power-duration relationship during prolonged endurance exercise: influence of carbohydrate ingestion. J Appl Physiol. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00207.2019
- Tan, R., Nederveen, J.P., Gillen, J.B., Joanisse, S., Parise, G., Tarnopolsky, M.A., Gibala, M.J. (2018). Skeletal muscle fibre-type specific changes in markers of capillary and mitochondrial content after low-volume interval training in overweight women. Physiol Rep. DOI: 10.14814/phy2.13597
- Tan, R., Wylie, L.J., Thompson, C., Blackwell, J.R., Bailey, S.J., Vanhatalo, A., Jones, A.M. (2018). Beetroot juice ingestion during prolonged moderate-intensity exercise attenuates progressive rise in O2 uptake. J Appl Physiol. DOI: 10.1152/japplphysiol.01006.2017
- Gillen, J.B., Percival, M.E., Skelly, L.E., Martin, B.J., Tan, R.B., Tarnopolsky, M.A., Gibala, M.J (2014). Three minutes of all-out intermittent exercise per week increases skeletal muscle oxidative capacity and improves cardiometabolic health. PLos One. 9(11): 1-9
- Martin, B.J., Tan, R.B., Gillen, J.B., Percival, M.E., Gibala, M.J. (2014). No effect of short-term green tea extract supplementation on metabolism at rest or during exercise in the fed-state. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 24(6): 656-64
- BIOL 270: Principles of Human Physiology