Ronald R. Cox
Associate Dean of International Programs
Professor of Religion
Religion and Philosophy Division, Seaver College
- PhD Theology, University of Notre Dame, 2005
- Master of Divinity, Pepperdine University, 1996
- BS Business Administration, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 1991
- "Philo," 2200 word entry; "Aristotle," 600 word entry; and "Tiberius Julius Alexander," contracted 200 word entry in Loren T. Stuckenbruck and Daniel M. Gurtner, T & T Clark Encyclopedia of Second Temple Judaism, 2 volumes (Bloomsbury, 2019).
- "Canon and Text of the New Testament," co-authored with Randall Chesnutt, in J. E. Wright, ed., The New Testament in Archaeology and History, vol. 2: The New Testament, Judaism, and Early Christianity (Baylor University Press, forthcoming).
- "Philo of Alexandria: On the Decalogue" and "Philo of Alexandria: Life of Moses," in Early Jewish Literature: An Introduction and Reader, edited by Archie Wright (Eerdmans, 2017)
- "'A Sharp Pen vs. Fragrant Myrrh': Comparing and Contrasting the Commentaries of Cyril of Alexandria and Theodore of Mopsuestia on Psalm 45" in The Harp of Prophecy: Early Christian Exegesis of the Psalms, edited by Paul Kolbet and Brian Daley (University of Notre Dame Press, 2014).
- "'Creation and Cosmogony' in Second Temple and Hellenistic Judaism" (dictionary article) in The Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception (Verlag de Gruyter, 2012)
- "Traveling the Royal Road: The Soteriology of Philo of Alexandria," an invited chapter in This World and the World to Come: Soteriology in Early Judaism, edited by Daniel Gurtner (Library of Second Temple Studies; T&T Clark, 2011).
- By the Same Word: Creation and Salvation in Hellenistic Judaism and Early Christianity (BZNW 145; Walter de Gruyter, 2007)
- Blanche E. Seaver Professor of Religion, 2013-2018
- Fellow, Harris Manchester College Summer Research Institute, Oxford, United Kingdom, Summer 2016
- Teaching Grant, Glazer Institute for Jewish Studies, Pepperdine University, for a course on the Image of God in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam,
- Faculty/Student Mentorship program, Seaver Dean's Office (with students Kevin Hoffman, Fall 2014, Spring 2015; Alexandra Campana, Fall 2015; Erika Bartlett, Spring 2017-Spring 2019)
- Keck Scholars Program grant ($13,000) to fund RTI imaging and processing equipment for Keck First Year Seminars, 2013
- Academic Year Undergraduate Research Initiative Grants, Pepperdine University
- "Wyman (0220) Fragment," with Mr. Vincent Quach, Ms. Natalie Lewis and Dr. Randall Chesnutt (spring 2013)
- "Negotiating Conquest: The Currency of Islam in the Holy Land," with Ms. Anna Tiner (fall 2013)
- "Wyman (0220) Fragment," with Mr. Paul Cox and Dr. Randall Chesnutt (fall 2018)
- University of Southern California's West Semitic Research Project grant for one-week training in Reflectance Transformation Imaging, 2013
- Summer Undergraduate Research Project, "Loyalist Coins during the First Jewish Rebellion," with Mr. Eric Kim, 2013
- Seaver Dean Research Grant, "Wyman (0220) Fragment"
- Research Grant, Glazer Institute for Jewish Studies to write a translation of and commentary on Philo's On the Confusion of Languages 134–149
- Lela Armstrong Fellow in Religion, Pepperdine University, 2007-2008
- Seaver Fellow in Religion, Pepperdine University, 2006-2007
- "Most Influential Faculty Member," Rochester College, Rochester Hills, Mich., 2004
- Christian Scholarship Foundation Fellowship Awards, 1997 & 1998
- Pauline Literature (esp. Colossians)
- Philo of Alexandria
- Ancient Numismatics
- New Testament in Context
- Christianity and Culture (The Theology of C.S. Lewis' Fiction)
- Pauline Writings
- Gospel and Letters of John
- History of Christianity -- Ancient and Medieval
- The World of the New Testament
- First Year Seminar, Keck Scholars Program: Ancient Coins of the Holy Land