Frank G. Novak
Professor of English
Humanities/Teacher Education Division, Seaver College
- BA, Harding College
- MA, Ph.D., University of Tennessee
- "Henry James's Portrait of Evil: A Study in Narcissistic Rage," PsyArt 20 (2016): 50-68.
- "'Strangely Fertilising': Henry James's Venice and Isabel Archer's Rome," American Literary Realism 55 (Winter 2013): 146-165.
- "In Old Friendship": The Correspondence of Lewis Mumford and Henry A. Murray (Syracuse: Syracuse University press, 2007).
- "The Satanic Personality in Updike's Roger's Version," Christianity and Literature 55 (Fall 2005): 3-26.
- "The Kraken in the Computer," Studies in the Novel 37 (Spring 2005): 82-96.
- Lewis Mumford and Patrick Geddes: The Correspondence (London and New York: Routledge, 1995).
- "Master and Disciple: Selections from the Patrick Geddes-Lewis Mumford Letters," Horns of Plenty: Malcolm Cowley and His Generation 2 (Fall 1989): 45-62.
- The Autobiographical Writings of Lewis Mumford: A Study in Literary Audacity (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, Biography Monograph Series, 1988).
- "Lewis Mumford and the Reclamation of Human History," Clio: A Journal of Literature, History and the Philosophy of History 16 (Winter 1987):159-181.
- "Crisis and Discovery in The Professor's House," Colby Library Quarterly 22 (June 1986): 119-132.
- "Divine Provocateur: Ralph Waldo Emerson's American Preacher," Restoration Quarterly 28 (1985/86): 87-96.
- "The Dialectics of Debasement in The Magus," Modern Fiction Studies 31 (Spring 1985): 73-82.
- "'Warmest Climes but Nurse the Cruellest Fangs': The Metaphysics of Beauty and Terror in Moby-Dick," Studies in the Novel 15 (Winter 1983): 332-343. Reprinted in Harold Bloom, ed., Modern Critical Interpretations: Herman Melville's Moby-Dick (New York: Chelsea House, 1986): 119-130.
- Dean's Research Grant (2018).
- Glazer Institute for Jewish Studies Teaching Grant (2013, 2016).
- Irvine Diversity Workshop Fellow (Summer 1998).
- Fulbright Senior Scholar Award in American Literature (University of Maribor, Slovenia, 1994).
- Arnold L. and Lois S. Graves Award in the Humanities (Research Grant, 1990).
- "Storm Over Atlanta: Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full and the Critics," American Literature Association Conference, San Francisco, CA (May 2018).
- "Humor and Horror in Two Stories of the Holocaust by Nathan Englander," Society for the Study of the American Short Story Symposium, Savannah, GA (October 2016).
- "Paul Gray, Time Magazine, and American Literary Culture in the Late Twentieth Century," American Literature Association Conference, Boston, MA (May 2015).
- "Modern Classics of the Quest: The Magic Mountain and Austerlitz as Core Texts," Association for Core Texts and Courses Conference, Los Angeles, CA (April 2014).
- "Henry James's Portrait of Evil: The Narcissistic Rage of Gilbert Osmond," American Literature Association Conference, San Francisco (May 2012).
- "Hans Castorp's Excellent Adventures: The Dantean Quest in The Magic Mountain," Association for Core Texts and Courses Conference, New Haven, CT (2011).
- "Lewis Mumford's Visions and Revisions of the Historic City," Society for American City and Regional Planning History, Oakland, CA (2009).
- "Hate Your Neighbor, Destroy Your Brother: The Satanic Personality in Roger's Version," Western Conference on Christianity and Literature, Westmont College (2005).
- "Communities of Life, Death, and Learning in The Magic Mountain," Association for Core Texts and Courses Conference, Irving, TX (2004).
- "Lewis Mumford, the Humanities, and the Aims of Education," Association for Core Texts and Courses Conference, University of Notre Dame (2001).
- American Fiction
- American Cultural Criticism
- Great Books Colloquium, I-IV
- Modern European Literature
- Literary Heroines of the Nineteenth Century
- Contemporary Jewish American Fiction
- Literature of the Holocaust
- Realism and Naturalism in the American Novel
- The Modern American Novel