Divisional Dean (Humanities and Teacher Education Division)
Professor of Teacher Education
Humanities/Teacher Education Division, Seaver College
- PhD, Educational Psychology, University of California Santa Barbara, 2002
- MA, Education, University of California Santa Barbara, 1999
- MA, Spanish, University of California Santa Barbara, 1995
- BA, Spanish, Pepperdine University, 1991, Cum Laude
- Erbes, S. (2017). Life lessons 101: Navigating the unwritten course of college. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing.
- Erbes, S.(2007). What teachers should know but textbooks don't show. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Erbes, S., Lesky, S., & Myers, J. (2016). Teachers exploring mobile device integration: A case study of secondary teachers' responses to iPads in the classroom. Journal of Information Technology Education: Research, 15, 503-516.
- Carr, K., Davis, S., Erbes, S., Fulmer, C., Kats, L., & Teetzel, M. (2013, Summer). Developing first year students as scholars. CUR Quarterly, 33(4), 8-15.
- Erbes, S. & Klingel. A. (2012, July-Sept.). What can a student teacher learn from undergraduate research? Kappa Delta Pi Record Journal, 100-104.
- Erbes, S, Folkerts, M., Gergis, C., Pederson, S., & Stivers. H. (2009). Understanding how cognitive psychology can inform and improve Spanish vocabulary acquisition in high school classrooms. Journal of Instructional Psychology, 37(2), 120-132.
- Erbes, S. (2008). Interdisciplinary efforts used to assess research experiences for undergraduates. Council of Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 29(2), 34-42.
- 2019: Howard A. White Teaching Award Recipient
- 2017: Google Certified Educator Level I
- 2014: Recipient of Faculty Innovation in Technology and Learning Grant
- Summer 2008, Finalist for the Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence, Pepperdine University.
- 2005-2006: Seaver College Named Fellowship
- 2004: Recognized Mentor for Seaver College Honor Wall for Fulbright Scholar, Ashley Foster
- Member, American Educational Research Association
- Member, Computer Using Educators
- Member, Kappa Delta Pi Education Honor Society
- April 2018. "Transforming Teaching Educational Psychology Using Technological Tools." Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. New York, NY.
- 2017, June. "How We Remember and How We Forget: The Neuroscience of Memory and Some Applications." Paper presented at the Christian Scholars' Conference, Nashville, TN.
- 2016, May. "From Traditional to Technological: Transforming an Instructional Design Course Using Sakai." Paper presented at the annual Sakai/Apereo Conference, New York, NY.
- June 2015. "Setting the Stage." Summer Faculty Professional Development Series. Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA.
- July 2014. "Paving the Path to Professional Development: Showcase Portfolios for Teacher Education." Paper presented at the Association for Authentic, Experiential and Evidence-Based Learning (AAEEBL) Conference. Boston, MA.
- October 2013. "Awakening the 21st Century Educator to 21st Century Tools." Fall Computer Using Educators (CUE) Conference. Napa Valley, CA.
- June 2013. Sakai/Apereo Conference, San Diego, CA. Pre-conference workshop- "Teaching with Sakai from the Ground Up." Co-presented with Alan Regan, Landon Phillips, and Varun Khanna.
- June 2012: "An Introduction to Sakai for New Faculty", session presented at the annual Sakai Conference, Atlanta, GA
- April 2012: Keynote Speaker, Loqui Event: A Celebration of Diversity and Inclusive Excellence, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA (http://youtu.be/euuuuns9QwI)
- March 2011: "Greatest Hits CUE 2006-2010 & Imagining the Future", session presented at the Computer Using Educators (CUE) Conference in Palm Springs, CA
- November 2010. "Wonders of the Web: Web Resources for Secondary Math Teachers." Association of Christian Schools International, Anaheim, CA.
- Fall 2009: "The Scholarship of Teaching", session presented at the annual Teaching Professor Conference, Boston, MA
- Educational Technology
- Undergraduate Research
- First Year Seminar - Teaching with TED
Advanced Teaching Methods
Clinical Experience 3
Educational Technology Workshop