Dr. Terrelle B. Sales has worked in many capacities during his tenure in public education for LAUSD beginning as a Middle School Mathematics teacher, all the way up to serving as a High School Assistant Principal of Mathematics and Science Instruction. He currently works as the Assistant Professor of Teacher Education at Pepperdine University. Dr. Sales works with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for the state of California serving on the Education Specialist Teacher Performance Assessment Design Team. In the Spring of 2020, Dr. Sales was elected to serve a three year term on the Board of Directors for the California Council on Teacher Education (CCTE) and is also the newly appointed Editor for CCNews.
Dr. Sales’ research interests include education, religion, critical pedagogy, critical theory, critical theology, and theology. His dissertation topic focused on the interconnectivity of theology, education, and critical pedagogy, ultimately leading to what he has deemed the Pedagogy of Jesus Christ. In 2019 he had the privilege of presenting with Dr. Antonia Darder at AERA for the session, “Decolonizing Interpretive Research: A Subaltern Methodology for Social Change.” Dr. Sales has been happily married to his wife Porsha Sales for 14 years and ecstatically looks forward to spending the rest of his life adoring her. They share the joint calling of foster care and sees it as a ministry to help show the love of Christ to children of all ages. They currently foster four children Levi (9), Ashton (7), Sharia (4), and Celestia-Luna (4).
Dr. Sales’ book “An Emancipatory Pedagogy of Jesus: Towards a Decolonizing Epistemology of Education and Theology” was published in June of 2021 by Rowman & Littlefield. Dr. Sales received his BA in Liberal Arts and Teaching Credential from Pepperdine University, his MA of Education in Teacher Leadership from Vanguard University, and his EdD in Educational Leadership for Social Justice from Loyola Marymount University.
- PhD Education in Leadership and Social Justice, Loyola Marymount University, 2017
- Sales, T. B. (2021). An emancipatory pedagogy of Jesus: Toward A decolonizing epistemology of education and theology. Hamilton Books, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield.
- Sales, T. B. (2020). Love: A critical pillar in the pedagogy of Jesus. Christian Education Journal: Research on Educational Ministry, 1–15. doi: 10.1177/0739891320918592.
- Sales, T.B. (2019). Emancipatory Re-Readings. In A. Darder (Ed.), Decolonizing interpretive research: A subaltern methodology for social change (pp.104-115). Routledge.
- Teacher Researcher Award, Vanguard University, 2011
- Diversity Leadership and Service Award, Vanguard University, 2021 Presented by the Provost of Vanguard University, Dr. Pete Menjares
- 2021 Meredith Fellows Performance Assessment Implementation Conference, California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, “Funds of Knowledge & The Importance of Connecting Culture to Content July 8th, 2021 Role: Presenter
- 2020 Fall California Council on Teacher Education Research Monograph Virtual Discussion, December 16th, 2020. Group C: Expanding the Study of Teaching and Teacher Education Role: Moderator
- 2020 Fall California Council on Teacher Education Virtual Zoom Conference Theme: The Future of Teacher Education Role: Board Member, Attendee
- 2019 CalTPA Regional Faculty Workshop. Irvine, Ca December 11th, 2019, Concordia University. Role: Attendee
- 2019 Fall California Council on Teacher Education. San Diego, Ca October 16th - October 17th Session: Poster Presentation – Poster 22 “Critical Consciousness, A Pedagogy of Jesus: An Evaluation of Paulo Freire’s Conscientization” Role: Attendee & Presenter
- 2019 Responding to California’s Shortage of Bilingual Teachers: 2nd Deans’ Leadership Summit, Los Angeles, CA, June 14th, 2019. Loyola Marymount University School of Education: Center for Equity for English Learners Role: Attendee
- 2019 AERA Annual Meeting: Leveraging Education Research in a “Post-Truth” Era: Multimodal Narratives to Democratize Evidence. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, April 6th, 2019 Session: Decolonizing Interpretive Research: A Subaltern Methodology for Social Change Role: Co-Presenter, Emancipatory Re-Readings
- 2019 Advancing Women in Leadership Conference. Vanguard University, Costa Mesa, Ca, March 19th, 2019 Session: The Woman at the Well: How to Model Christ’s Compassion in Organizational Leadership Role: Presenter
- 2019 ENSURE Justice Conference. Vanguard University, Costa Mesa, CA, March 2nd, 2019 Session: Supporting Vulnerable Children in the Classroom Role: Co-Presenter, Restorative Justice Practices in the Classroom
- 2018 Southern California Christian Educator’s Conference, Anaheim, CA, March 3rd, 2018 Session: Bridging the Gap: A Pedagogy of Jesus Christ Role: Presenter
- 2018 Spring California Council on Teacher Education Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 8th-9th, 2018 Theme: Spring Policy Action Network Role: Attendee
- 2018 ESCALA Training, Costa Mesa, CA, September 14th, 2018 Session: ESCALA Training Role: Attendee
- 2018 Fall California Council on Teacher Education Conference, San Diego, CA, October 18th -20th, 2018 Theme: Changemaking and Teacher Education Role: Attendee
- 2017 Fall California Council on Teacher Education Conference, San Diego, CA, October 19th-21st, 2017 Theme: Social Justice & Equity: Having a Meaningful Dialogue to Inspire Action Role: Attendee
- Critical Pedagogy
- Jesus the Teacher
- Critical Theory
- Critical Theology
- EDUC 461
- EDUC 530
- EDUC 531