Loan Pham Kim
Professor of Nutritional Science
Natural Science Division, Seaver College
- PhD, Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles
- RD, Dietetic Internship, University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
- MS, Nutritional Science, San Jose State University
- BS, Clinical Dietetics, University of California, Berkeley
- Ritchie, L., Lee, D., Sallack, L., Machell, G., Kim, L., Song, L., Whaley, S. Multi-State WIC Participant Satisfaction Survey: Learning from Program Adaptations during COVID. National WIC Association, December 2021. Report link: https://thewichub.org/multi-state-wic-participant-satisfaction-survey-learning-from-program-adaptations-during-covid/
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Dalforno, R.W., Wengert, H.I., Kim, L.P., Jacobsen, K.H. (2022). Anxiety and school absenteeism without permission among adolescents in 69 low- and middle-income countries. Dialogues in Health, 1(2022), 100046, ISSN 2772-6533.
- Pechlt, S.M., Kim, L.P., Jacobsen, K.H. Physical inactivity and sedentariness: languorous behavior among adolescents in 80 countries. Journal of Adolescent Health, 2022, Feb 14:S1054-139X(21)00687-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2021.12.017. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35177343.
- Louie, N., Kim, L.P., Chan, SE. Perceptions and Barriers to SNAP Utilization Among Asian and Pacific Islander Immigrants in Greater Los Angeles. American Journal of Health Promotion, 2020, DOI: 10.1177/0890117120925746.
- Sauter, S.R., Kim, L.P. and Jacobsen, K.H. Loneliness and friendlessness among adolescents in 25 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. Child Adolescent Mental Health, 2019, DOI:10.1111/camh.12358
- Koleilat, M., Kim, L.P., Cortes, B., Kodjebacheva, G.D. Perceived Motivators, Barriers and Intervention Strategies Related to Weight Loss After Childbirth Among WIC Participants in Southern California. American Journal of Health Promotion, 2019, DOI:10.1177/0890117119895948.
- Kim, L.P., Mallo, N. Maternal perceptions of self-weight and child weight may influence milk choice of participants in the special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children (WIC). Journal of Obesity, 2019, DOI: 10.1155/2019/3654728.
- Koleilat, M., Kim, L.P., Whaley, S.E. Focusing on excessive gestational weight gain through weight tracking among participants of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program in southern California. Californian Journal of Health Promotion, 2017. 15(3): 15-24.
- Kim, L.P., Koleilat, M., Whaley, S.E. A qualitative study to examine perceptions and barriers to appropriate gestational weight gain among participants in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. Journal of Pregnancy, 2016. Vol. 2016, Article ID 4569742. DOI:10.1155/2016/4569742.
- Min, J.E., Green, D.B., Kim, L. P. Calories and sugars in boba milk tea: implications for obesity risk in Asian Pacific Islanders. Food Science & Nutrition, 2016. 4(2): 1-8. DOI: 10.1002/fsn3.362.
- Kim, L.P., Whaley, S., Gradziel, P., Crocker, N., Ritchie, L., Harrison, G. Mothers prefer fresh fruits and vegetables over jarred baby fruits and vegetables in the new special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children food package. Journal of Nutrition Education & Behavior, 2013. 45:723-727.
- Chaparro, M.P., Langellier, B.A., Kim, L.P., Whaley, S.E. Predictors of accurate maternal perception of their preschool child's weight status among Hispanic WIC participants. Obesity, 2011. 19(10): 2026-30. DOI:10.1038/oby.2011.105.
- Kim, L.P., G.G. Harrison, and M. Kagawa-Singer. Perceptions of diet and physical activity among California Hmong adults and youths. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2007. 4(4): A93.
- Harrison, G., Kagawa-Singer, M., Foerster, S., Lee, H., Kim, L.P., Nguyen, T., Fernandez-Ami, A., Quinn, V., Bal, D. Seizing the Moment: California's opportunity to prevent nutrition-related health disparities in low-income Asian-American populations. Cancer, 2005. 104(12 Suppl): 2962-8.
- Ikeda, J., Pham, L., Nguyen, K. Culturally relevant nutrition education improves dietary quality among WIC-eligible Vietnamese immigrants. Journal of Nutrition Education & Behavior, 2002. 34: 151-158.
- Leadership Award from the National WIC Association, 2022 with colleagues and co-awardees Lorrene Ritchie and Danielle Lee of Nutrition Policy Institute
- Best Paper of 2021 Award from the Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health (ACAMH), 2021
- Dean's Outstanding Student Award, UCLA, 2011
- American Heart Association Pre-Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2009-2011
- American Public Health Association
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Society for Nutrition
- Public health nutrition
- Health disparities and policy strategies
- Federal nutrition programs (WIC, SNAP)
- Global health
- Foundations of Nutritional Science
- Nutrition Through the Life Cycle
- Public Health Nutrition
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Nutrition Issues in Global Health
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Senior Research Capstone