Susan Edgar Helm
Professor of Nutritional Science
Director of Didactic Program in Dietetics
Student Advisor A-M
Natural Science Division, Seaver College
- FAND, Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- PhD, University of California, Davis (Physiological Chemistry)
- MS, Texas A & M University (Clinical Nutrition)
- RDN, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (1986)
- BS, Cornell University (Nutritional Biochemistry)
- Helm, S. E., Blayney, M., Whited, T., Norrozi, M., Lin, S., Kern, S., Green, D. and A. Salehi. Deleterious effects of chronic folic acid deficiency in the Ts65Dn mouse model of Down Syndrome. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience. (2017) 11(161):1-9.
- Helm, S.E., Blayney, M. Whited, T., Lin, S., Kern, S., Averill, A., Crawford, K. and D. Green. Understanding the influence of dietary folic acid as a biomarker of Down Syndrome with measurement of key regulatory enzymes and metabolites in the methylation pathways of folate synthesis, using a cognitive mouse model Ts65Dn. Journal of Nutrition and Food Science. (2016) 6:3(Suppl):74.
- Helm, S. E., Murrie, M., Griffin, B., and D. Chen Maynard. A telenovela: La Guia mas sans de Comida Rapida./Ventura Diet and Nutrition Education DVD project. (2013).
- Edgar (Helm), S., Kirk, C.A., Rogers, Q.R. and J.G. Morris. Taurine status in cats is not maintained by dietary cysteinsulphinic acid. (1998) Journal of Nutrition. 128:751-757.
- Edgar (Helm), S., Hickman, M.A., Marsden, M.A., Morris, J.G. and Q.R. Rogers. Dietary cysteic acid serves as a precursor of taurine for cats. (1994) Journal of Nutrition. 124:103-109.
- Edgar (Helm), S., Morris, J.G., and M.A. Hickman. In vivo conversion of cysteic acid to taurine in the cat. (1991) Journal of Nutrition. 121:S183-184.
- Kubena, K.S., Edgar (Helm), S., and J.R. Veltman. Growth and development in rats and deficiency of magnesium and pyridoxine. (1988) Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 7:317-324.
- Herbert, D. and Nylda Gemple Research Award, Neuroscience and Nutrition ($5,000)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation National Award
- Woodsen-Claiyssen Foundation Award ($75,000)
- A Telenovela DVD: Nutrition Education and Diabetes Prevention
- National Science Foundation Grant (Co-PI), QPCR instrument ($121, 635)
- Zellmer Grant-California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (CAND) ($10,000)
- National Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Honor Society of Agriculture, Gamma Sigma Delta
- The Scientific Research Society, Sigma Xi
- Excellence in Dietetics and Nutrition Education, 2017 CAND
- Methyl Metabolism and Cognitive Decline (Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease)
- Transitional Science and Nutrigenomics
- Nutritional Biochemistry-Regulation of Metabolism
- Nutrition (all levels)
- Therapeutic Nutrition (MNT)
- Laboratory Research
- Research Methods and Statistics