- PhD, Department of History, Yale University, 2001
- BA, History, Princeton University, 1994, Summe Cum Laude
Current Book Project
- Sex and Sects: The Story of Mormon Polygamy, Shaker Celibacy, and Oneida Complex Marriage. (Under review.)
- "Friends of the Unrighteous Mammon:" Northern Christians and Market Capitalism 1815-1860. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2008.
Articles and Essays
- "Das Adam-Smith Problem and Faculty Psychology in the Antebellum North." History of Political Economy. Spring, 2008.
- "Pro-capitalist Christendom: An Explanation And An Apology." Books & Culture: A Christian Review. Oct. 23, 2010. Review essay of Bethany Moreton's To Serve God and Wal-Mart and Jay W. Richards's Money, Greed, and God.
- "Two Schools, One Thesis, Still No Clear Answer." Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology 28-A (2010): 319-327. Review essay of Donald E. Frey's America's Economic Moralists.
- "Two Cheers for McCloskey." Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology 27-A (2009): 225-233. Review essay of Deidre N. McCloskey's The Burgeois Virtues.
- "The Faking of the United States." Reviews in American History 36 (2008): 349-356. Review essay of Stephen Mihm's A Nation of Counterfeiters.
- "Liberal America/Christian America: Another Conflict or Consensus?" Journal of the Early Republic 24, no. 2 (Summer 2004): 190-197.
- Review of Brigham Young: Sovereign in America, by David Vaughn Mason, Communal Societies 35, no. 1 (2015): 109-112.
- Review of America's First Great Depression: Economic Crisis and Political Disorder after the Panic of 1837, by Alasdair Roberts, History: Review of New Books 41, no. 4 (2013): 129.
- Review of Paradoxes of Prosperity: Wealth-Seeking Versus Christian Values in Pre-Civil War America, by Lorman A. Ratner, Paula T. Kaufman and Dwight L. Teeter Jr.," Business History Review 84, no. 3 (Autumn 2010): 592-595.
- Review of American Creed: Philanthropy and the Rise of Civil Society, 1700-1865, by Kathleen D. McCarthy, Journal of Markets and Morality 7, no. 1 (2004): 162-165.
"Latter-day Judas: The Effects of John C. Bennett's Betrayal on Joseph Smith and Mormon Polygamy." Communal Studies Association Conference, Zoar, Ohio, Oct. 2017.
"Millenarian Revivals in Comparative Perspective: The Mormon Reformation and the Shaker Era of Manifestations." Communal Studies Association Conference, "Anticipating the End Times," Salt Lake City, Utah, Oct. 2016.
"American Sex and Sects: Comparing Mormon Polygamy, Shaker Celibacy, and Oneida Complex Marriage." Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies, University Church of St. Mary, Oxford University, August 2016.
"Are American Religious Historians Cynical about American Religious Life?" Historiographical Heresy: A Conference on the Legacy of Jon Butler, Yale University, April 6, 2013.
"In Dow We Trust?" Panel discussion on the Mortgage and Credit Crisis from a Christian Perspective, 2009 Annual Conference on Christian Legal Thought, San Diego, CA, January 2009.
"Protestant Appropriations of John Locke and Adam Smith in the Antebellum North." HOPE [History of Political Economy] conference, Keeping Faith: Religious Belief and Political Economy, Duke University, April 2007.
"Whither the Early Republic: A Roundtable Prognostication." Panel discussion on early American history. 26th Annual Meeting of the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic, Brown University, July 2004.
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: Making Political Economy Safe for the Christian Republic." Conference on Christianity and Economics: Integrating Faith and Learning in Economic Scholarship, Baylor University, Nov. 2002.
- "California and Kansas, Republicans and Civil War." Los Angeles Civil War Round Table, September 2012.
- "Oral Tradition and the Slave Trade." Black History Month lecture, Payson Library, Pepperdine University, February 2012.
- "Slavery: The Not-So-Peculiar Institution." Los Angeles Civil War Round Table, September 2011.
- "Tyler and Texas, Mexico and Manifest Destiny." Los Angeles Civil War Round Table, June 2011.
- "Sex and Marriage in American Utopian Communities, 1790-1890." Humanities and Teacher Education Symposium, Pepperdine University, January 2011.
- "The Origins of New World Racial Slavery." Black History Month lecture, Payson Library, Pepperdine University, February 2010.
- American Intellectual History
- American Narrative History, 1453-1877
- American Religious History
- Sex and Marriage in U.S. History
- Religion and Capitalism
- HIST 204 - History of the American Peoples, 1492 to the Present
- HIST 420 - Colonial America, 1453-1763
- HIST 521 - American Revolution and New Nation, 1763-1815
- HIST 422 - Jacksonian America and Civil War, 1815-1877
- HIST 426 - California History
- HIST 438/REL 538 - The History of Religion in America
- GSHU 199- First-Year Seminar on Faith and Reason
- HIST 200 - Introduction to Research
- HIST 481-482 - Senior Seminar I & II