Associate Professor of History
Humanities/Teacher Education Division, Seaver College
- PhD, Department of History, Yale University, 2001
- BA, History, Princeton University, 1994, Summe Cum Laude
- "Review of Paradoxes of Prosperity: Wealth-Seeking Versus Christian Values in Pre-Civil War America, by Lorman A. Ratner, Paula T. Kaufman and Dwight L. Teeter Jr.," Business History Review. Forthcoming.
- "Pro-capitalist Christendom: An Explanation And An Apology" [A review essay of Bethany Moreton's To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise, and Jay W. Richards's Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism is the Solution and Not the Problem]. Books & Culture: A Christian Review. Forthcoming, November/December 2010.
- "Two Schools, One Thesis, Still No Clear Answer" [A review essay of Donald E. Frey's America's Economic Moralists: A History of Rival Ethics and Economics]. Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology 28-A (2010): 319-327.
- "Two Cheers for McCloskey" [A review essay of Deirdre N. McCloskey's The Bourgeois Virtues: Ethics for an Age of Commerce]. Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology 27-A (2009): 225-233.
- "Friends of the Unrighteous Mammon:" Northern Christians and Market Capitalism 1815-1860. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2008.
- "Das Adam-Smith Problem and Faculty Psychology in the Antebellum North." History of Political Economy. Spring, 2008.
- "The Faking of the United States" [A review essay of Stephen Mihm's A Nation of Counterfeiters: Capitalists, Con-Men, and the Making of the United States]. Reviews in American History 36 (2008): 349-356.
- "Liberal America/Christian America: Another Conflict or Consensus?" Journal of the Early Republic 24, no. 2 (Summer 2004): 190-197.
- "Review of American Creed: Philanthropy and the Rise of Civil Society, 1700-1865, by Kathleen D. McCarthy," Journal of Markets and Morality 7, no. 1 (2004): 162-165.
- "Francis Wayland" and "Economy and Religion: American Religious History," entries in Die Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart, a German theological reference (2004).
- "Abolitionists in Africa," a review of Lamin Sanneh's Abolitionists Abroad: American Blacks and the Making of Modern West Africa, in Books & Culture: A Christian Review, May/June 2000. (co-author with Wiebe Boer).
- "In Dow We Trust?" Paper presented at "The Mortgage and Credit Crisis from a Christian Perspective," 2009 Annual Conference on Christian Legal Thought, January 10, 2009.
- "Protestant Appropriations of John Locke and Adam Smith in the Antebellum North." Paper presented at the HOPE [History of Political Economy] conference "Keeping Faith: Religious Belief and Political Economy." Duke University, April 19-21, 2007.
- "Das Adam Smith Problem in the Antebellum North and Two Protestant Attempts at a Solution." Paper presented at the conference "Soundings: The Tenth-Anniversary Conference of the Atlantic History Seminar," Harvard University, August 9-13, 2005.
- "Liberal America/Christian America: Another Conflict or Consensus?" Presentation at the American Origins Seminar, Sponsored by the USC-Huntington Early Modern Studies Institute, the Huntington Library, March 12, 2005.
- "Whither the Early Republic: A Roundtable Prognostication." Panel discussion on the future of "research needs and opportunities" in early American history. Twenty-Sixth Annual Meeting of the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic, Brown University, July 22-25, 2004.
- "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: Making Political Economy Safe for the Christian Republic." Paper presented at the conference, "Christianity and Economics: Integrating Faith and Learning in Economic Scholarship." Baylor University, 2002.
- "The Redeeming Science of Modern Times: Protestants and Political Economy, 1820-1860." Paper presented to the History Faculty, Cambridge University, June 2001.
- American Intellectual History
- American Narrative History, 1453-1877
- American Religious History
- HIST 304 - History of the American Peoples, 1492 to the Present
- HIST 520 - Colonial America, 1453-1763
- HIST 521 - American Revolution and New Nation, 1763-1815
- HIST 522 - Jacksonian America and Civil War, 1815-1877
- HIST 526 - California History
- HIST 538/REL 538 - The History of Religion in America
- Faith and Reason Freshman Seminar
- HIST 200 - Introduction to Research
- HIST 580 - Historiography
- HIST 581 - Senior Thesis