Audition Requirements for Brass
Admission into the performance major requires an advanced development of embouchure, articulation, range, tone, and flexibility than is required for Music Education, and Composition programs. The entrance audition must display a level of development that will allow students to start with the listed repertoire or comparable literature. Live and taped auditions are accepted; however, a slightly longer program of music is suggested for taped auditions.
- Perform two contrasting movements from works that are comparable in difficulty of Beethoven Sonata, Glazunov Reveries, Heiden Sonata, Mozart Concertos 1-4, Concert Rondo, Saint Saëns Concertpiece, Romance, Op. 36, Scriabin: Romance, F. Strauss Concerto, Op. 8, Nocturno, Op. 7, R. Strauss Concerto No. 1
- Perform two contrasting movements, pieces, or etudes
- Perform two contrasting movements from works that are comparable in difficulty to Blazhevich Concert Piece No. 5, Galliard Sonatas No. 1-3, Guilmant Morceau Symphonique, Marcello Sonata in F Major, Ropartz Andante et Allegro, Barat Andante et Allegro, Rousseau Piece Concertante, Morel Piece in F-Minor, Lebedev Concerto in One Movement, McCarthy Sonata for Bass Trombone or Hindemith Drei leichte Stucke.
- Any etude from methods by Alan Ostrander, Kopprasch, Tyrrell, Blazhevich or Grigoriev and one from Bordogni's 43 Bel Canto Studies.
- Perform two contrasting mvts from the following works: Sarabande from Bach Cello Suite, Lebedev Concerto, Lieb Concertino, McCarty Sonata or one of the bass trombone solos of Eric Ewazen.
- Choose one solo from this list and the Arban's study. Guilmant – Morceau Symphonique; Barat – Andante et Allegro; Capuzzi/Catelinet – Andante and Rondo; Bellstedt – Napoli; Pryor – Blue Bells of Scotland; Arban – Characteristic Study No. 1.
- Perform two contrasting movements from works that are comparable in difficulty to Grigoriev Studies for Tuba , Bordogni Legato Etudes Vol. 1 , Blazhevich 70 Studies for Tuba , Haddad Suite for Tuba , Hindemith Sonata for Bass Tuba , Vaughn Williams Concerto for Bass Tuba (movement 1), Holmes Lento , Wilder Suite No. 1 for Tuba , Marcello Sonata in F-Major or Marcello Sonata in A-Minor