The following repertoire list is applicable to all music major, minor and scholarship applicants. Should you like to substitute one of the required solo works with a standard orchestral/band excerpt, please contact Dr. Tang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the following requirements, you may submit additional footage of jazz playing for special consideration. All materials must be submitted via SlideRoom.
Each applicant to the instrumental performance program is also required to participate
in an interview with the music faculty. Participating in a live audition day, either
virtually or in-person, will fulfill this requirement. If you are unable to participate
in a live audition day, please reach out to the Fine Arts Recruitment Office to schedule
- Chromatic scale up and down, slurred and double tongued (full range)
- Outer movement (first or last) of a standard flute concerto
- Two movements from a Bach Sonata
- One additional movement or complete work in a contrasting style
- Basic knowledge of reed making is required (please contact Dr. Tang at longtao.tang@pepperdine for a remote interview).
- One standard etude from, but not limited to, the following list:
- Barret Oboe Method
- Brod Oboe Method
- Ferling Forty-eight Etudes
- Two contrasting movements/complete works from, comparable in difficulty to, the following
- Bellini Concerto
- Donizetti Sonata
- Guilhaud Concertino
- Haydn Concerto
- Hindemith Sonata
- Hummel Adagio, Theme and Variations
- Mozart Quartet or Concerto
- Paladilhe Solo de Concert
- Saint-Saëns Sonata
- Telemann Sonata in A-minor.
- Rose 32 Studies: etudes 1 AND 2
- Klose scales in thirds: a major and minor scale of your choice (slow, smooth and even)
- Finzi A movement from Five Bagatelles for clarinet
- Mozart 2nd movement from Clarinet Concerto in A major
- Weber A movement from Concerto #1 in F minor OR Concertino in Eb major
- Two contrasting etudes from Weissenborn 50 Advanced Studies OR one etude from Milde Concert Studies, vol. 1.
- Two selections from, or of comparable in difficulty to, the following list:
- One movement from a standard concerto (Mozart, Weber, Vivaldi, Hummel)
- One movement from a standard sonata (Hindemith, Saint-Saëns, Telemann, Hurlstone, Cascarino)
- A single movement work in its entirety (Elgar Romance, Pierné Solo de Concerto, Op. 35 or Prelude de Concert, Bourdeau Premier Solo, Osborne Rhapsody)
Two selections from, or of comparable in difficulty to, the following list:
- Rueff Chanson et Passepied (Leduc Publishing)
- Ibert Aria (Leduc Publishing)
- Bozza Aria (Leduc Publishing)
- Lantier Sicilienne (Leduc Publishing)
- Eccles Sonata (arr. Rascher, Elkan Vogel Publishing)
- Ward An Abstract (Southern Music Publishing)
- Bonneau Suite (Leduc Publishing)
- Tcherepnine Sonatine Sportive (Leduc Publishing)
- Hartley Petite Suite (Crescendo Publishing)
For more information, please contact the Fine Arts Recruitment Office at 310.506.4111, or via email at email@example.com.