Career Exploration Process
The career exploration process involves learning more about yourself, researching your options, trying new experiences, and creating a strategic plan to reach your professional goals. Whether you are deciding on a major or determining your career options, the Career Center is here to help you every step of the way. Use the following steps to guide your exploration.
Step 1: Engage in Self Assessment
- Begin your process of self-discovery by reflecting on the following questions:
- What are my interests and what do I enjoy learning about?
- What do I like to do and what skills would I like to develop?
- What are my talents and strengths?
- What are my values?
- Consider taking career assessments to clarify your interests, personality, skills and values.
Step 2: Evaluate Majors and Careers
- Review Academic Programs and meet with an academic advisor to learn more about a particular major.
- Take introductory courses in your major(s) of interest and speak with professors and your peers to learn more.
- Explore possible careers related to your major :
Step 3: Research Careers
- Gather information about occupations, industries and companies to assess your options:
- Reach out to professionals in your field of interest and request to job shadow or conduct an informational interview.
Step 4: Gain Experience
- Join a student or professional organization related to your area of interest.
- Get involved in activities that complement your curriculum, including volunteer work, leadership positions and research opportunities.
- Build career-related experience by getting a part-time job with student employment or an internship.
- Participate in Events and Programs that provide opportunities to gain insight from professionals in your field of interest, including potential employers and alumni.
Seaver College Career Center, Tyler Campus Center, Suite 210
Phone (310) 506-4184 • FAX (310) 506-4428