ChatGPT, AI, and Career Development
ChatGPT is an advanced conversational AI model based on the GPT architecture, designed to generate human-like responses in interactive conversations. ChatGPT and other generative AI can streamline aspects of the job and internship search. Technology tools work best if you know how to use them effectively and ethically.
Using ChatGPT for Your Career
For career management, ChatGPT is best used as a creative, brainstorming tool. For example, writing a cover letter, resume, or networking email can be intimidating when starting from scratch. But you can input your desired job title and excerpts of your skills and experience to receive language to begin working with.
Important Tips to Remember:
- DO NOT simply copy and paste this text into a document and hit send to an employer. ChatGPT does give you a template to work from, but it’s critical to adjust the phrasing and enhance the content so it is more authentic to you.
- Check responses for inaccuracies and inclusion of your unique words and voice.
- Use specific prompts and engage in dialogue by asking follow-up questions. Use the “Regenerate Response” button to see other options.
- Ask for specific responses based on your materials and for responses that use different tones, such as formal, engaging, or casual.
- Exercise caution when sharing personally identifiable information with chatbots/AI. For example, if you insert your resume into the chat for feedback, do so without including your name, email address, phone number, etc.
- AI does not provide the expertise and individualized approach that career advising does. For customized support with your internship or job search, we encourage you to schedule an appointment on Handshake, visit our resume drop-in hours, and attend events for well-rounded recommendations and support.
Sample Prompts to Use
- What can I do with an English degree [insert your academic disciplines of interest]?
- What are some entry-level positions for _______ majors?
- Based on the experiences found in my resume, what are ten career fields I may want to explore? [insert resume]
- What careers blend interest _______ and interest _______? For example, what careers blend political science and human rights activism?
- Which (industry) companies have the best track record for _______? Which finance companies have the best track record for promoting women and marginalized communities?
- Review my resume like an expert coach and let me know five specific changes I can make based on this job description. [insert job description]
- Write a 3-paragraph cover letter in a formal tone using experiences from my resume that align with this job description. [insert job description] [insert resume]
- Are there unnecessary details that I should remove from my resume? [insert resume]
- Are there specific buzzwords I should include in my resume to enhance my resume for applicant tracking systems (ATS) for this job? [insert job description]
- What is the company culture like? For example, what is Spotify's company culture like?
- Describe the different divisions within (company). For example, describe the different divisions within JP Morgan.
- What are some _______ industry trends? For example, what are some healthcare industry trends?
- Generate 10 specific likely interview questions based on this [insert job description].
- Take question one and based on my resume, how would you answer that question with a response that feels confident and engaging?
- What are five questions I can ask in an interview that will give me insight into the company’s culture and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion?
- Write a brief LinkedIn summary for a (major) student with the following skills and experience.
- Write a one-paragraph email asking a Pepperdine alum working in [insert industry] for an informational interview.
- Generate a 300-character LinkedIn connection request based on [insert person’s profile].
- What are five questions I should ask in an informational interview with a museum curator?
- Based on my resume, generate a short and engaging elevator pitch I can use for networking. [insert resume]
- Write a thank you email to an interviewer. Reference (something you discussed), For example, write a thank you email to an interviewer. Reference our shared love of the Los Angeles Rams.
- Craft a professional email to request a reference letter from a former supervisor.
- Draft a professional email to request a recommendation letter from a professor for a scholarship application.
- Write a concise message to a local business owner introducing myself and expressing interest in a potential internship.