Graduate School Preparation
The Career Center has various resources and services to help you in graduate and professional school planning. In addition to exploring graduate school options and researching different schools, you can learn more about preparing your application and what you can do to become a competitive applicant.
Explore Graduate School
- Consider your reasons and motivations for continuing your education.
- Determine the advanced education and credentials needed to prepare for your career.
- Read over our guides on Applying to Graduate School and Applying to Law School.
- Meet with an industry specialist and the faculty, staff, and advisors in your academic department:
Gather Information about Programs
- Research specific schools and programs online, request printed materials, and attend information sessions.
- Understand the role of specialized accreditation in your field (i.e., American Bar Association for law schools) and identify the specialized accrediting agency to choose accredited graduate schools.
- Pay close attention to the program goals, faculty research focus, and the unique opportunities available.
- Speak with faculty members and current graduate students in targeted programs.
- Review the necessary application components and deadlines for each program.
Prepare for the Application Process
- Study for graduate school admissions tests.
- Use our Academic CV Guide to help you write your CV.
- Request letters of recommendation from professors and internship/work supervisors well in advance (at least 4-6 weeks).
- Learn how to write an effective personal statement.
Ask for Help
- Meet with an industry specialist to discuss the application process and have your CV and personal statement reviewed.
- Speak with professors about recommendations.
- Speak with representatives from graduate and professional school programs at campus information sessions and fall/spring career fairs.
Seaver College Career Center, Tyler Campus Center, Suite 210
Phone (310) 506-4184 • FAX (310) 506-4428