First Wave Ambassador Program
First Wave Ambassadors are first-generation sophomore through senior students that will serve in a leadership capacity for the first-gen community at Seaver College. First Wave Ambassadors will assist the SSC in connecting new first-gen students with faculty and staff, peers, and members of the Seaver College community, in order to enhance their college experience.
Through academic mentoring, they will directly support first-gen students' transition to college and assist them in becoming acclimated to the culture of Pepperdine University. In their role as academic mentors, the First Wave Ambassadors share their experiences as first-gen students and provide information about opportunities at Seaver College. Ambassadors will also serve as representatives of the SSC and First Wave program at events aimed at building a community of support for first-gen students at Seaver College.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support academic success of first-gen students by hosting 1 hr per week of academic mentoring at the SSC.
- Attend biweekly supervision meeting with the Director of Student Success at the SSC during the academic year.
- Ambassadors will lead and coordinate targeted programming events for first-gen students throughout the school year.
- Ambassadors will attend and assist in planning Pepperdine Summer Preview (PSP), Summer Bridge to College Leadership Program, New Student Orientation, National First-Gen Celebration Day, and other events held by the SSC/First Wave program.
- Ambassadors will attend at least 1 meeting of the First Wave Advisory Council each semester.
- Participate in leadership workshops and in-service training as scheduled.*
*Ambassadors are expected to arrive prior to the fall 2021 semester to engage in an intensive training program and attend NSO activities. Students holding other leadership positions on campus should consider these implications when deciding to apply.
Why participate? Ambassadors will receive a $5,000 scholarship. Ambassadors will participate in professional development trainings, such as attending a national conference, build their resume, and develop transferable leadership skills.
Applications for the 2021-2022 First Wave Ambassador program open on March 22, 2021, and are due on April 26, 2021, by 11:59 p.m. Students apply to serve as a First Wave Ambassador for a one-year term (academic year).
Please submit the following documents to apply:
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a resume to email@example.com
- Submit two academic or professional recommendations.
- Applicants must have completed at least 1 year of coursework at Pepperdine.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing, achieving a minimum of a 3.25 cumulative GPA.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time in Malibu for both the fall 2021 and spring 2022 semester.
- Must be a first-generation college student; meaning you are the first in your immediate family on-track to graduate from college.
- Must be willing to provide assistance and be able to effectively relate with people of diverse cultural, social, and educational backgrounds.
- Current members of the First Gen student club will receive preference.