Writing Intensive Course
When writing the syllabus for your major's course which will fulfill this requirement, please keep in mind:
- writing intensive courses stress process (see bullet 3 below)
- show that the course includes writing instruction as part of its course time.
These two elements are a central part of what a writing intensive course should accomplish, and your syllabus should give a clear idea of how these elements are met in the course. Please also see the syllabus writing guidelines prepared by the Academic Affairs Committee.
Writing-Intensive Course (0)
Designed to develop discipline-specific ways of writing important for continuing study in the major, for careers, and for communication of discipline-specific knowledge to general audiences. This requirement should be fulfilled through writing-intensive courses in the student's major discipline.
Courses that fulfill the Writing-Intensive Course requirement: Each major has designated certain of its courses as writing-intensive. Please refer to major requirement listings.
In the Writing-Intensive course requirement, students will:
- Use writing to improve learning of subject matter and promote the development of critical thinking.
- Learn discipline specific ways of thinking and communicating, including writing skills important for continuing study in the discipline, for careers, and for communicating discipline-specific knowledge to audiences outside the discipline.
- Improve writing processes, developing effective strategies for generating ideas, gathering information, drafting, revising, and editing.
*** Please be sure your syllabus articulates your course's objectives for meeting these goals rather than reiterating only these goals.***