Instructions for Graduates
In line with recommendations from multiple governmental and health agencies, limiting the number of people at gatherings, the University is postponing all commencement ceremonies scheduled for the spring. Nonetheless, graduating students who complete their coursework will receive their degrees as scheduled and should be assured that commencement ceremonies will take place on the Malibu campus at a future date.
Pepperdine University is closely monitoring developments for Coronavirus Disease 2019.
Learn more about the University's response plans to keep our campus communities safe
by visiting: https://www.pepperdine.edu/coronavirus/
Updated 3/17/2020, 8:30 AM
The following instructions will help the commencement ceremony move smoothly and in an orderly fashion:
- BRING NAME CARD. You receive this card from the Seaver Dean's Office at Grad Fest on Friday, May 1st from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. You must have this card in order to cross the stage.
- HONORS students (cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude) please assemble at Alumni Park promptly at 9:00 a.m. to check in and receive your honor cords.
- All other graduates please assemble at Alumni Park promptly at 9:30 a.m. and proceed directly to your seats in the student area. No check-in required if you have your Name Card.
- Please do not bring purses, backpacks, bags, and other non-essential items to the graduation ceremony because there will be no place to put them.
- Find a seat in the staging area; feel free to sit with other graduates with whom you would like to walk. Master's degrees will be seated at the front; all other seats are available for bachelor's degrees.
- The line of march will be organized by the marshals and faculty ushers. Please remain in order as you are ushered to the graduation area and take the seat that is in the same position as the one you occupied in the staging area. No one may enter the line of march after it leaves the staging area. Watch faculty ushers for cues during your march into the graduation area.
- The graduation area may be warm and there is no shade, so be sure to wear sunscreen.
Receiving Your Diploma
- The Dean of Seaver College will ask the respective candidates for master's and, later in the ceremony, bachelor's degrees to rise.
- Remain standing until your particular degree has been formally conferred by the President.
- When instructed by the faculty ushers, your row will stand and you will march forward to receive your diploma.
- Enter the stage on the right, shake hands with the President, exit to the left, and return to your seat. Be aware of the photographers who will take your picture upon receipt of your diploma and when you exit the stage.
- Following the benediction, the platform party will exit, followed by the graduates, and then the faculty.
- Before you leave campus, please deposit your rental gown at the Herff Jones table in Alumni Park. The cap and tassel are yours to keep, as well as the sash you received if you purchased one in advance.
Consistent with university policies, pets are not allowed at commencement services except for guide, service, or signal dogs.