Instructions for Graduates
The following instructions will help the commencement ceremony move smoothly and in an orderly fashion:
- If you will receive honors during the graduation ceremony (cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude), please assemble at Alumni Park at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 28, 2018 to check in and receive your honor cords.
- All other graduates will assemble at Alumni Park promptly at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 28, 2018.
- Please do not bring purses, backpacks, bags, and other non-essential items to the graduation ceremony because there will be no place to put them.
- Find your seat assignment in the staging area and be seated. The seats will be arranged alphabetically, master's degrees first, followed by bachelor's degrees.
- The line of march will be organized by the marshalls and faculty ushers. Please remain in order as you are ushered to the graduation area and take the seat that is in the same position as the one you occupied in the staging area. No one may enter the line of march after it leaves the staging area. Watch faculty ushers for cues during your march into the graduation area.
- The graduation area may be warm and there is no shade, so be sure to wear sunscreen.
Receiving Your Diploma
- The Dean of Seaver College will ask the respective candidates for master's and, later in the ceremony, bachelor's degrees to rise.
- Remain standing until your particular degree has been formally conferred by the President.
- When instructed by the faculty ushers, your row will stand and you will march forward to receive your diploma.
- Enter the stage on the right, shake hands with the President, exit to the left, and return to your seat. Be aware of the photographers who will take your picture upon receipt of your diploma and when you exit the stage.
- Following the benediction, the platform party will exit, followed by the graduates, and then the faculty.
- Before you leave campus, please deposit your rental gown at the Herff Jones table in Alumni Park. The cap, tassel and sash are yours to keep.
Consistent with university policies, pets are not allowed at commencement services except for guide, service, or signal dogs.