Teacher Education Programs
A teaching credential is an excellent complement to any major, opening the door to vocational possibilities in education, both domestically and abroad. The Teacher Preparation Program at Seaver College is an integrated program in which students pursue their bachelor¹s degree and their teaching credential simultaneously, so that they can complete their degree and credential in four years.
The Teacher Preparation Program provides the coursework and clinical experiences necessary to qualify teacher candidates for a SB2042 Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential or a Single Subject Teaching Credential. Accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, the program is highly regarded throughout California.
In elementary or middle school, a multiple subject teacher usually teaches a variety of subjects, including literacy, mathematics, science, social studies, fine arts, physical education, and health. The liberal arts major is recommended for multiple subject candidates.
Single Subject Teaching Credential (Secondary)
For the Single Subject Credential, students major in a specific content area (English, math, social science, science):
- English major with a credential emphasis
- Math education major with teaching emphasis
- Spanish major with teaching emphasis
- Art major with teaching emphasis
- Music major with teaching emphasis
- Science major with teaching emphasis
- Social science: History major, Political Science major
- German major with teaching emphasis
- French major with teaching emphasis
- 4 yearsTo Complete a Degree + Credential
- 750 hoursSpent in the Classroom
- MalibuCampus Location
Beyond the Classroom
Our Curriculum Compliance
These credential programs were developed in compliance with the requirements of the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and provide each candidate with an English Language Authorization (ELA) that enables candidates to teach students whose primary language is not English.
Program Admission and Requirements
- California SB 2042 Multiple Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential with English Language Authorization
- California SB 2042 Single Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential with English Language Authorization
- Both credentials meet No Child Left Behind federal mandate compliance.
Program Sequence Requirements
Students must complete the teacher education courses required for a preliminary credential. The teacher education courses can be started during the second half of the first year. Please consult the academic catalog for more information.
Alumni in the Field