Students and families occasionally experience unforeseen changes during the application period and/or academic year (job loss, illness, etc.). The Office of Financial Assistance has an Appeal Committee to review cases of extreme hardship or special circumstance(s). If this applies to you, please read and sign the appropriate appeal request form and follow the instructions on the bottom of the second page to submit an appeal.
All students requesting appeal funds must have an official FAFSA on file at Pepperdine
at the time the appeal is submitted. An appeal submitted with insufficient documentation
or not following appeal policies will be canceled after two weeks. All items listed
on page one of the Appeal Request Form (under REQUIRED) must be submitted along with
applicable documents in order for the appeal to be reviewed. Students requesting appeal
funds are required to accept and borrow the student loans offered on their financial
assistance award when available.
Early Action and Incoming Appeals: (All student loans must be accepted on WaveNet after May 1 deposit deadline and processed when available). Approved appeal funds will be revoked if you do not accept and borrow student loans, adhere to the appeal awarding policies, or if your student loans are canceled later in the school year. Appeal funds will only apply to tuition. Contact the office if you are unsure of your tuition grant percentage.
DO NOT make any changes after you have submitted the appeal unless additional documentation is requested. Appeals are approved on an annual basis. If you need to make changes, contact our office for authorization and instructions on how to proceed.
We request that every parent complete the Parent PLUS Loan online credit check at www.studentaid.gov, which takes approximately 15 minutes. If approved, you are not required to accept the loan, but please provide an explanation in your appeal statement explaining why the PLUS Loan cannot be processed. If denied, the student may be eligible to receive an additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan up to a $4,000 as a Freshman/Sophomore or $5,000 as a Junior/Senior.
Re-evaluation of your financial assistance eligibility is subject to federal, state
and university policies and regulations, the availability of funds, and adhering to
the Appeal Awarding Policies.
Appeal decisions are final. DO NOT resubmit a future appeal based on the same circumstances.
- 2019-2020 General Appeal Request Form
Continuing and Fall Admitted Students:
– Begins July 1 - Ends December 13
– Resumes January 6 - Ends March 6 (Extended to April 10, 2020 due to COVID-19)
Spring 2020 Incoming Students
– Priority deadline begins Nov 11 - Ends Nov 17
– Use the 2019-2020 General Appeal Request Form link above.
(Any spring appeal received after this date will not be guaranteed a response before the spring deposit deadline on Dec 1)
- 2020-2021 Early Action Appeal Request Form
– Begins January 10 - Ends January 24
- 2020-2021 Incoming Appeal Request Form
– Begins March 16 - Ends April 20
– Priority Deadline ends April 3
(Any appeal received by the priority deadline will receive a response before June 1 deposit deadline. Appeals received after the priority deadline are not guaranteed a response before June 1)
- 2020 Summer Appeal Request Form
- 2020-21 Fifth Year Senior Appeal Form
– Begins April 1 - Ends December 1
– Seniors who need to appeal for an additional semester or year are required to request funding by completing the Fifth Year Senior Appeal Form and following all instructions.