Professor of Hispanic Studies
Divisional Dean, International Studies and Languages Division
- Ph.D., Spanish, University of Virginia, 2006
- M.A., Spanish, University of Virginia, 2002
- B.A., Spanish, Pepperdine University, 1999
- Luis Buñuel
- Spanish cinema
- Spanish literature, 19th C to present
- Begin, Paul. "Mar adentro and the Question of Freedom." Hispanic Issues 42 (2016):183-201.
- Begin, Paul. "Empathy and Sinophobia: Depicting Chinese Migration in Biutiful (Iñárritu, 2010)." Transnational Cinemas 6.1 (2015): 1-16.
- Begin, Paul. "Mutilation, Misogyny, and Murder: Surrealist Violence or Torture Porn?" The Companion to Luis Buñuel. New York and London: Blackwell, 2013. pp.537-53.
- Begin, Paul. "Picking a Fight with Domestic Violence: New Perspectives on Patriarchy in Contemporary Spanish Cinema." New Representations of Family in Contemporary Spanish Culture. Jefferson, North Carolina and London: McFarland Press, 2011. pp.126-40.
- Begin, Paul. "España 1936: A Buñueloni Documentary." Letras Peninsulares 22.1 (2010): 285-301.
- Begin, Paul. "The Art of Managing Contentious Content in Social Issue Cinema: On Regarding the Pain of Others in Iciar Bollain's Te doy mis ojos." Studies in Hispanic Cinemas 6. 1-2 (2009): 31-44.
- Begin, Paul. "When Victim Meets Voyeur: An Aesthetic of Confrontation in Hispanic Social Issue Cinema." Hispanic Research Journal 9.3 (2008): 261-75.
- Begin, Paul. "Entomology as Anthropology in the Films of Luis Buñuel." Screen 48.4 (Winter 2007): 425-442.
- Begin, Paul. "Buñuel, Eisenstein and the Montage of Attractions: An Approach to Film in Theory and Practice." Bulletin of Spanish Studies 83.8 (2006):1113-32.