International Program Alumni | London History
|1851||The Great Exhibition, the first World's Fair, organized by Prince Albert was held in Hyde Park.|
|1875||Number 56 Prince's Gate was constructed as part of a series of fine residences built
with the profits from the Great Exhibition.
-The house was constructed for Sir Bernard Samuelson, a prominent industrialist and Member of Parliament.
|1950's||After World War II ended, Count Antoine Seilern of Austria moved into 56 Prince's Gate. The house was decorated with what has been described as the world's finest collection of art in private hands at that time. His collection included art by Reubens, Pieter Bruegel, Cezanne, Degas, van Dyke, Manet, Renior, and drawings by Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt, Ricasso, and Durer. After the Count's death in 1978 his collection was moved to Courtauld Instituite's galleries on the Strand. They are together called the Prince's Gate Collection.|
|1984||London, England was established as a yearlong study-abroad program and the house at 12 Beaufort Gardens was the residence of the students during their stay.|
|1987||Pepperdine bought the house at 56 Prince's Gate, and the London program moved to its current location.|
|2006||Friends of London was established
-This committee helps program alumni get together for reunions, both locally and in London. The committee also allows alumni to promote the London program through the upcoming campaign to refurbish Prince's Gate.
|2008||Inaugural London Celebration Reunion|
Click to view the London Visiting Professor History