Assistant Professor of Philosophy
- Ph.D., Philosophy, University of Texas, Austin, 2011
- M.A., Philosophy, Biola University, 2004, High Honors
- B.S., General Biology, University of California, San Diego, 2002, Magna cum laude
- Member, Program Committee, Pacific Division of the American Philosophical Association, 2014-2016
- Member, Society of Christian Philosophers, 2012-present
- Featured Author, The Philosophers' Cocoon, 2014
- SUNY Fredonia Young Philosophers Lecture Series, Invited Lecturer, 2013
- First Place, St. Thomas Summer Seminar Article Prize, 2012
- University of St. Thomas Philosophy of Religion Summer Seminar Participant, 2012
- Cogburn Philosophical Essay Prize, University of Texas at Austin, 2011
- Six Professional Development Awards, Philosophy Department of the University of Texas at Austin, 2006-2011
- Kohn-Hutter Lutheran Academic Scholarship, 2006-2010
- 2010 Phi Beta Kappa Induction and Graduate Scholarship, Spring 2003
- National Science Foundation Research Grant, 2002
- UCSD National Institute of Health Research Grant, 2000-2001
- Areas of Competence
- Philosophy of Religion
- Areas of Specialization
- Philosophy of Mind
- "Only All Naturalists Should Worry about Only One Evolutionary Debunking Argument," forthcoming in Ethics
- Review of Epistemology of Disagreement: New Essays by David Christensen and Jennifer Lackey (eds.), co-authored with Pepperdine student Anna Brinkerhoff, Analysis 75(2): 339-342 (2015)
- "Yes, Safety is in Danger," co-authored with Pepperdine student Chad Marxen, Philosophia 42(2): 321-334 (2014)
- "Knowledge under Threat," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 88(2): 289-313 (2014)
- Review of Linda Zagzebski's Epistemic Authority, co-authored with Pepperdine student Paige Massey, American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly 88(3): 610-613 (2014)
- "The Problem of Contingency for Religious Belief," Faith and Philosophy 30(4): 371-392 (2013)
- "Undefeated Dualism," Philosophical Studies 165(2): 445-466 (2013)
- "Disagreeing with the (Religious) Skeptic," International Journal for Philosophy of Religion 74: 5-17 (2013)
- "Foley on Self-Trust and Religious Disagreement," Logos & Episteme 4(2): 217-226 (2013)
- "What Certainty Teaches," Philosophical Psychology 25(2): 227-243 (2012)
- "A Vindication of the Equal-Weight View," Episteme: A Journal of Social Epistemology 6(3): 324-335 (2009)
- Zhu et al., "Nerve Growth Factor Exerts Differential Effects on the Growth of Human Pancreatic Cancer Cells," Clinical Cancer Research 7: 105-112 (2001)
- "Hick's Variety Problem and Religious Disagreement"
October 2015. Brackenridge Philosophy Symposium in honor of Marilyn McCord Adams, University of Texas--San Antonio, invited by Michael Almeida.
- "Debunking Religious and Moral Beliefs"
April 2014. Loyola Marymount University, invited by Tom Ward.
November 2013. St. Norbert College, invited by Joel Mann.
- "Overdetermination, Backtracking, and Physicalism"
SUNY Fredona Young Philosophers Lecture Series, February 2013
Southern California Philosophy Conference, San Diego State University, October 2014
- "Knowledge Need Not Be Safe"
University of Edinburgh Graduate Philosophy Conference, March 2011
- "Presence at a Distance"
Personal Identities, their Embodiments and Environments. University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, England, July 2010
- "Foley on Self-Trust and Religious Disagreement"
5th Annual Philosophy of Religion Conference. Baylor University; invited by Jon Kvanvig, February 2010
- "Disagreeing with the Skeptic"
Responsible Belief in the Face of Disagreement. Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, August 2009
- "A Vindication of the Equal-Weight View"
Episteme Conference: The Epistemological Significance of Peer Disagreement. Northwestern University, June 2009
- "Can Brains Be Certain?"
37th Annual Meeting of the Society for Exact Philosophy. University of Alberta, May 2009.
The Arche/CSMN Graduate Conference. University of Oslo, Norway, November 2008.
62nd Annual Mountain-Plains Philosophy Conference. Hays, Kansas, October 2008 Society of Christian Philosophers Conference. UC Riverside, October 2008
- "Defeating Dualism"
UCLA/USC Graduate Student Conference. University of Southern California, Feburary 2008
UT/UNAM Philosophy Conference. UNAM, Merida, Mexico, October 2007
- "Is Introspection Mechanistic?"
PhilMiLCog 2007. University of Western Ontario, May 200
- "Two Wrong Turns for Type-Identity Physicalism"
Oxford Graduate Philosophy Conference. Oxford University, November 2006.
Yale/Uconn Graduate Conference. Yale University, October 2006