Meet the Faculty
Associate Professor of Teacher Education
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of California Santa Barbara, 2002
- M.A., Education, University of California Santa Barbara, 1999
- M.A., Spanish, University of California Santa Barbara, 1995
- B.A., Spanish, Pepperdine University, 1991, Cum Laude
- Educational Psychology
- Instructional Design
- First Year Seminar - Discovering the Secret to Inspirational Teaching
- Advanced Teaching Methods
- Clinical Experience 3
- Educational Technology Workshop
- 2014: Recipient of Faculty Innovation in Technology and Learning Grant
- Summer 2008, Finalist for the Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence, Pepperdine University.
- 2005-2006: Seaver College Named Fellowship
- 2004: Recognized Mentor for Seaver College Honor Wall for Fulbright Scholar, Ashley Foster
- Member, Computer Using Educators
- Member, Kappa Delta Pi Education Honor Society
- Educational Technology
- Undergraduate Research
- Carr, K., Davis, S., Erbes, S., Fulmer, C., Kats, L., & Teetzel, M. (2013, Summer)." Developing first year students as scholars." CUR Quarterly, 33,(4), 8-15.
- Erbes, S. & Klingel. A. (2012, July-Sept.). "What Can A Student Teacher Learn from Undergraduate Research?" Kappa Delta Pi Record Journal, 100-104.
- Erbes, S, Folkerts, M., Gergis, C., Pederson, S., & Stivers. H. (2009). "Understanding how cognitive psychology can inform and improve Spanish vocabulary acquisition in high school classrooms." Journal of Instructional Psychology, 37(2), 120-132.
- Erbes, S. (2008). "Interdisciplinary efforts used to assess research experiences for undergraduates." Council of Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 29(2), 34-42.
- Erbes, S. (2007). What teachers should know but textbooks don't show. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- June 2015. "Setting the Stage." Summer Faculty Professional Development Series. Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA.
- July 2014. "Paving the Path to Professional Development: Showcase Portfolios for Teacher Education." Paper presented at the Association for Authentic, Experiential and Evidence-Based Learning (AAEEBL) Conference. Boston, MA.
- October 2013. "Awakening the 21st Century Educator to 21st Century Tools." Fall Computer Using Educators (CUE) Conference. Napa Valley, CA.
- June 2013. Sakai/Apereo Conference, San Diego, CA. Pre-conference workshop- "Teaching with Sakai from the Ground Up." Co-presented with Alan Regan, Landon Phillips, and Varun Khanna.
- June 2012: "An Introduction to Sakai for New Faculty", session presented at the annual Sakai Conference, Atlanta, GA
- April 2012: Keynote Speaker, Loqui Event: A Celebration of Diversity and Inclusive Excellence, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA (http://youtu.be/euuuuns9QwI)
- March 2011: "Greatest Hits CUE 2006-2010 & Imagining the Future", session presented at the Computer Using Educators (CUE) Conference in Palm Springs, CA
- November 2010. "Wonders of the Web: Web Resources for Secondary Math Teachers." Association of Christian Schools International, Anaheim, CA.
- Fall 2009: "The Scholarship of Teaching", session presented at the annual Teaching Professor Conference, Boston, MA