Meet the Faculty
Cindy L. Miller-Perrin
Distinguished Professor of Psychology
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 1991, 1992
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Washington State University, 1991
- M.S., Clinical Psychology, Washington State University, 1987
- B.A., Psychology, Pepperdine University, 1983, Magna Cum Laude
- Positive Psychology
- Child Clinical Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Advanced Research Seminar
- American Psychological Association Fellow (2013)
- Howard A. White Teaching Excellence Award (2008)
- Pro Humanitate Literary Award (2007)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
- Association for Psychological Science
- Christian Association for Psychological Studies
- International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Western Psychological Association
- Child-clinical psychology, child maltreatment and family violence, faith and spiritual development
- Gershoff, E. T., Goodman, G. S., Miller-Perring, C. L., Holden, G. W., Jackson, Y., & Kazdin, A.E. (in press). The strength of the evidence against physical punishment of children and its implications for parents, psychologists, and policymakers. American Psychologist.
- Miller-Perrin, C.L., Perrin, R.D., & Renzetti, C. (2018). Violence and maltreatment in intimate relationships. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Miller-Perrin, C., & Wurtele, S.K. (2017). Sex trafficking and the commercial sexual exploitation of children. In D. Hume and N. Siden (Eds.), Human trafficking of women and girls: Characteristics, commonalities, and complexities. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Wurtele, S. K., & Miller-Perrin, C. (2017). What Works to Prevent Child Sexual Victimization In D. Perkins, C. Hamilton-Glachritsis, and L. Craig (Eds.), What works in child protection: An evidence based approach to assessment and intervention in care proceedings. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons, LTD.
- Miller-Perrin, C., & Wurtele, S.K.. (2017). Primary Prevention of Childhood Sexual Abuse. In R. Alexander (Ed.), Prevention of child maltreatment. St. Louis, MO: STM Learning, Inc.
- Miller-Perrin, C., & Perrin, R. (2017). Changing attitudes about spanking among conservative Christians using interventions that focus on empirical research evidence and alternative biblical interpretations. Child Abuse & Neglect, 71, 69-79.
- Perrin, R., Miller-Perrin, C., & Song, J. (2017). Changing attitudes about spanking using alternative biblical interpretations. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 1-9, DOI: 10.1177/0165025416673295
- Miller-Perrin, C., & Wurtele, S. K. (2017). Sex trafficking and the commercial sexual exploitation of children. Women and Therapy.
- Miller-Perrin, C.L., & Krumrei, E. (2015). Why faith matters: A positive psychology perspective. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Miller-Perrin, C.L., & Perrin, R.D. (2013). Child maltreatment: An introduction (3rd Edition). Thousand Oaks, Ca: Sage Publications.
- Wilgus, S.J., Packer, M. M., Lile-King, R., Miller-Perrin, C., & Brand, B.L. (2015). Coverage of child maltreatment in abnormal psychology textbooks: Reviewing the adequacy of the content. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/tra0000049
- Matsuda, W. T., Rouse, S. V., & Miller-Perrin, C. L. (2014). Validation of the Attitudes Regarding Bisexuality Scale: Correlations with ratings of a positive media image of bisexual men and women. Journal of Bisexuality, 14, 265-276.
- Kissee, J. L., Miller-Perrin, C. L., & Isaacson, L. J. (2014). An analysis of child maltreatment content in introductory psychology textbooks. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma, 23(3), 215-228, DOI: 10.1080/10926771.2014.878891
- Wurtele, S. K., & Miller-Perrin, C. L. (2012). Global efforts to prevent sexual exploitation of minors. In H. Dubowitz (Ed.), ISPCAN's world perspectives (pp. 82-88). Colorado: International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.
- Perrin, R. D., & Miller-Perrin, C. (2011). Interpersonal violence as social construction: The potentially undermining role of claims-making and advocacy statistics. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 26, 3033-3049.
- Barnett, O., Miller-Perrin, C.L., & Perrin, R.D. (2011). Family violence across the lifespan (3rd Edition). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications
- Miller-Perrin, C., & Thompson, D. (2010). The Development of Vocational Calling, Identity, and Faith in College Students: A Preliminary Study of the Impact of Study Abroad. Frontiers, XIX, 87-103.
- Byron, K., & Miller-Perrin, C. (2009). The value of life purpose: Purpose as a mediatory of faith and well-being. Journal of Positive Psychology, 4(1), 64-70.
- Miller-Perrin, C.L., Perrin, R.D., & Kocur, J.L. (2009). Parental Physical and Psychological Aggression: Psychological Symptoms in Young Adults. International Journal of Child Abuse and Neglect, 33, 1-11.
- Thompson, D. & Miller-Perrin, C. (2008). Vocational discernment and action: An exploratory study of male and female university professors. Review of Religious Research, 50(1), 97-119.