Meet the Faculty
Assistant Professor of Journalism and Religion
- PhD in Divinity, University of Cambridge, 2012
- Master of Arts in Religion, Pepperdine University, 2003
- Bachelor's in Journalism, minor in Religion, Pepperdine University, 2002, Magna Cum Laude
- Jour 241, Introduction to Newswriting and Editing
- Jour 590, Investigative and Narrative Reporting
- Com 400, Communication Ethics
- Rel 301, Christianity and Culture
- Rel 635, American Moral Thought
- Conejo Church of Christ, member since October 2012, serve on adult education committee and proofread newsletter
- Investigative Reporters and Editors, member since 2014
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, member since 2014
- American Academy of Religion, member since 2008, currently Western Region Nineteenth Century Chair
- American Journalism Historians Association, member since 2015
- American Society of Church History, since 2015
- Ecclesiastical History Society, member 2008-2012
- Society of Professional Journalists, member 1998-2007
- Second Place, Investigative Reporting, 2007 Associated Press California-Nevada Newswriting and Photo contest
- First Place, Freedom of Information Award, 2007 Nevada Press Association
- Second Place, Best News Feature, 2006 Nevada Press Association
- Part of reporting team which won First Place, Breaking News Coverage, 2005 National Society of Professional Journalists
- American and British church history
- civil religion
- investigative journalism
- religion coverage in the secular media
- religion in the public sphere
- the social gospel
- Chosen Nations: Pursuit of the Kingdom of God and its Influence on Democratic Values in Late-Nineteenth Century Britain and the United States. Minneapolis: Augsburg Press, 2013.
- "Harry Potter as a Metaphor for Struggling with God" in World Wide Influence of Harry Potter, edited by Diana Patterson. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009.
- Aug. 7, 2014, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Montreal, Canada, Presented peer-reviewed poster "Promulgating the Kingdom: Social Gospel Muckrackers Josiah Strong and Hugh Prices Hughes."
- Nov. 25, 2013, American Academy of Religion, Baltimore, Maryland, Presented paper "Pragmatism and Nationalism in the Work of Josiah Strong" for a joint session of the Liberal Theologies group and Pragmatism and Empiricism in American Religious Thought on the the theme "New Approaches to Social Gospel Theology."
- March 10, 2012, American Academy of Religion Western Regional Conference, Arizona State University, Tempe. Presenting paper Chosenness and Civic Patriotism in Late Nineteenth Century England and the United States.
- March 13, 2009, Ecclesiastical History Conference Postgraduate Colloquium. Presented paper Protestantism and National Identity in the Works of Congregationalists R.W. Dale and Josiah Strong at the University of Manchester.
- November 11, 2009, McMenemy Seminar , Trinity Hall, Cambridge. Presentation How Would Jesus Vote? Understanding the Religious Right and the Religious Left in America
- July 25-28, 2008, Accio 2008, Magdalen College, Oxford. Presented paper Harry Potter as a Metaphor for Struggling with God. Accio is a peer-reviewed academic conference on all things Harry Potter.