Meet the Faculty
J. Christopher Soper
Distinguished Professor of Political Science
- Ph.D., Political Science, Yale University
- M.A., Political Science, Yale University
- M.Div., Yale University Divinity School
- B.A., University of Washington
- The American People and Politics
- Constitutional Law
- Religion and Politics in Comparative Perspectives
- Environmental Politics and Policy
- Distinguished Professor of Political Science, 2015 - Present
- Seaver College Dean's Research Grant, Pepperdine University, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
- American Political Science Association Research Grant Award, 1995, 2002
- Society for the Study of Religion Research Grant, 2002
- The John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation, 200
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American politics, comparative politics.
- Religion and Politics
- 2018. Religion and Nationalism in Global Perspective (with Joel S. Fetzer). Cambridge University Press.
- 2017. The Challenge of Pluralism: Church and State in Six Western Democracies, third edition, (with Kevin den Dulk and Stephen V. Monsma). Rowman and Littlefield Press.
- 2013. Confucianism and Democracy in Taiwan, co-authored with Joel Fetzer. Lexington Books.
- 2011. "The Determinants of Public Attitudes toward the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in Taiwan," (with Joel S. Fetzer) Taiwan Journal of Democracy 7 (1): 95 - 114.
- 2010. "Rock and Roll Will Never Die: Using Music to Engage Students in the Study of Political Science." PS: Political Science and Politics, Vol. 43, No. 2: 363-367.
- 2007. "Religious Institutions, Church-State History and Muslim Mobilization in Britain, France, and Germany,"(with Joel S. Fetzer). Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 33: 933-944.
- 2006. Faith, Hope, and Jobs: Welfare-to-Work in Los Angeles, (with Stephen V. Monsma). Georgetown University Press.
- 2005. Muslims and the State in Britain, France, and Germany (with Joel S. Fetzer). Cambridge University Press, 2005.