Meet the Faculty
Julie T. Oni, M.F.A.
Visiting Assistant Professor of English
- M.F.A., Dramatic Writing, University of Southern California, 2009
Julie T. Oni earned her M.F.A. in dramatic writing from the University of Southern California and her B.A. in creative writing from Pepperdine University. Additionally, she holds a certification in TESOL (Teaching English to Students of Other Languages). She has taught English composition and English for English Language Learners at Pepperdine for the past three years. Professor Oni is a Los Angeles-based playwright with roots in Nigeria and the U.S., and her research and writing deal with the interactions between cultures, particularly America and Africa. She previously held the position of Associate Chair of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles, where she also taught English, literature, and culture. As a playwright, Professor Oni has received productions of her work throughout Los Angeles and in Washington D.C. She is a two-time semifinalist for Center Theatre Group's Sherwood Award, and is a current member of The Robey Theatre Company's Playwrights Lab.
- English Composition
- English for English Language Learners
- American Language and Culture
- Center Theatre Group Sherwood Award, Semifinalist, 2018
- Brett J. Love Award for Teaching Excellence, Pepperdine University, 2016
- Center Theatre Group Sherwood Award, Semifinalist, 2016
- The Robey Theatre Company
- African American theatre
- American pop culture
- International students in American University
- Mixed-race identity
- Nigerian literary traditions
- Western misconceptions of Africa
- Playwright, Corked . The Paul Robeson Theatre Festival. Los Angeles, 2017
- Playwright, The Hotel Play . Playwright's' Arena. Los Angeles, 2017.
- Playwright, Lessons Learned. The Robey Theatre Company and Empowerment Congress. Los Angeles, 2017.
- Playwright, Black-Proof. Company of Angels. Los Angeles, 2016.
- Playwright, Denim . Son of Semele Ensemble. Los Angeles, 2016.
- Playwright, Bunk. Son of Semele Ensemble. Los Angeles, 2014.
- Playwright, nat&EM. Company of Angels. Los Angeles, 2013.
- Playwright, Two Live and Die in L.A. . Company of Angels. Los Angeles, 2013.
- Playwright, Day's Pay . Moveable Piece. Hollywood, 2011.
- Playwright, Tether . Doorway Arts Ensemble. Washington, D.C. 2011.
- Identity Outsiders, 2009.