John D. Barton
Visiting Associate Professor of Religion
Director for the Center for Faith and Learning
Religion and Philosophy Division, Seaver College
- PhD, Philosophy, Makerere University (Kampala, Uganda)
- MDiv, Theology, Harding Graduate School of Religion
- BA, Religion, Harding University
- "Toward a Non-Racist Frame in the Stone-Campbell Tradition." In Restoration and Philosophy. Edited by J. Caleb Clanton, University of Tennessee Press, forthcoming.
- A Muslim Sage Among Peers: Fethullah Gulen in Dialogue with Christians. A volume of academic essays edited with an introduction for Blue Dome Press, 2017.
- "Reflections Along the Borders of Christianity and Islam." A Plenary Presentation delivered at Lipscomb University's Preaching Workshop, February 2017.
- "At the Foot of the Cross, in the Middle of the World: Reflections on Cruciform Mission." Leaven: A Journal of Christian Ministry 23, no. 3 (2015): 124-129.
- "Fethullah Gulen and the Hizmet Movement's Contributions to Dialogue and the Common Good." A two-part interview for the series FIKIR ATLASI (Atlas of Thoughts) for Irmak TV in Turkey (produced by Spectra Media). November 2014. http://spectramedia.tv/2014/11/24/john-barton-1/
- "Navigating the Degrees in Christian-Muslim Dialogue: A Comparative Review of Lee Camp and Miroslav Volf." Missio Dei: A Journal of Missional Theology and Praxis 4, no. 2 (August 2013). Http://missiodeijournal.com.
- "The Hermeneutics of Identity in African Philosophical Discourse as a Framework for Understanding Ethnicity in Post-Genocide Rwanda." Philosophia Africana 15, no. 1 (Winter 2013): 1-34.
- "Confusion and Communion: Christian Mission and Ethnic Identities in Post-Genocide Rwanda." Missiology: An International Review XL, no. 3 (July 2012): 227-248.
- "Beyond Cold Wars and Religious Clashes: Reflections on Peaceful Coexistence." Turkish Review 2/2 (March/April 2012): 118-123.
- "The Missional Posture and Our Muslim Neighbors." Missio Dei: A Journal of Missional Theology and Praxis 2/ 2 (August 2011). Http://missiodeijournal.com/md-2-2/70.
- "Causation in Modern African Philosophical Discourse: Four Perspectives." Philosophia Africana 12/2 (Fall 2009): 107-139.
- "The New Faces of Christianity: Reflection in Four Disciplines" (co-authored). Restoration Quarterly 50/ 2 (Second Quarter 2008): 107-120.
- "Navigating the 21st Century: Current Cultural and Religious Environments in which Christian Colleges Operate." A keynote presentation delivered at the Conference for Academic Deans and Provosts, Abilene Christian University. October 2007.
- "If Mark Could See Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ." In Preaching Mark's Unsettling Messiah. Edited by David Fleer and David Bland. St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2006. Pages 72-87.
- "Keeping Each Other Out of the Ditches: Using Theories of Causation to Explore What Modern Africa and the Postmodern West Can Teach One Another About Science and Religion." Presented to the Africa Working Group at the Kellogg Institute for International Studies, University of Notre Dame. September, 2002.
- Member, Board of Directors, Kibo Group 501(c)3
- Member, The American Philosophical Association (APA)
- Consulting Editor, Missio Dei: A Journal of Missional Theology and Praxis
- Voted "Professor Everyone Should Have." Rochester College Student Body, Spring 2012
- Co-Editor, Leaven: A Journal of Christian Ministry
- African and Comparative Philosophy
- Christian Mission and Interfaith Dialogue
- Faith and Cultures
- Reconciliation Studies
- Religions of the World
- REL 526: Religions of the World
- REL 301: Christian Faith and Global Islam
- REL 599: Theologies of Reconciliation in African Contexts
- REL 102: The History and Religion of Early Christianity
- ESEC 610: Faith, Ethics, Diversity, and Philanthropy
- LAW 1282 Dispute Resolution and Religion (Straus Institute)