Professor of English
- American Literature and Culture
- Social Action and Justice
- Humanities 313
- Glazer Institute Teaching and Research Grant
- Seaver Dean's Research Grant
- Institutional Technology Grant
- Calvin College Seminar in Christian Scholarship
- Fulbright Scholar, Japan
- American literature and culture
- Digital Humanities
- "The Selected Letters of Hannah Whitman Heyde." Scholarly Editing (2016):17.
- "Birdsong in Whitman: Listening to the Mockingbird in 'Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking.'"Walt Whitman Quarterly Review 31 (2013), 18-30.
- "'Deeper Down in the Domain of Human Hearts': Hope in Isak Dinesen's Babette's Feast." Logos: A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture 12: I (Winter 2009): 1-22.
- "Diversity in Whitman: Section Thirty-three of 'Song of Myself.'" Notes on American Literature 17:1 (Winter/Spring) 2008: 21-29.
- "Sexuality in Leaves of Grass." A Companion to Walt Whitman. Ed. Donald D. Cummings. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2006. 164-179.
- "Alexandra's Dreams: 'The Mightiest of All Lovers' in Willa Cather's O Pioneers!" Great Plains Quarterly 25:3 (2005): 147-159.
- "'I Bequeath Myself to the Dirt to Grow from the Grass I Love': The Whitman-Cather Connection in O Pioneers!" Tulsa Studies in Women's Literature 20:1 (2001): 123-136.
- "Stopping History in Walt Whitman's Drum-Taps." Walt Whitman Quarterly Review17:1-2 (Summer 1999/Fall 1999): 4-14.
- "Esther's Smile: Silence and Action in Hisaye Yamamoto's 'Wilshire Bus.'" Studies in Short Fiction 35 (1998): 75-82.
- "Writing Woman's Body in Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass. " The Tohoku Journal of American Studies (Sendai, Japan) Vol. 1 (Fall 1997): 1-28.