Meet the Faculty
Division: Religion Division
Office: Appleby Center (APC) 255
Phone: (310) 506-4352
Fax: (310) 506-7271
- Ph.D. Biblical Studies (Old Testament), Union Theological Seminary (Richmond, Virginia), 2008
- Th.M. Old Testament, Princeton Theological Seminary (Princeton, New Jersey), 2000
- M.Div., Abilene Christian University (Abilene, Texas), 1999
- B.A. Bible/Biblical Languages/Mathematics, Harding University (Searcy, Arkansas), 1995
- Rel 101: History and Religion of Israel
- Rel 302: Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
- Royal Motifs in the Pentateuchal Portrayal of Moses (Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies, 571; T & T Clark, 2012).
- Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary: Year B, Volume 2. Ed. David L. Bartlett and Barbara Brown Taylor. (Westminster John Knox, 2008). Entries on Exod 12:1-14; Isaiah 53; Job 14.
- Review of Walter Brueggemann, A Pathway of Interpretation: The Old Testament for Pastors and Students (Eugene, Ore.: Cascade, 2009). Published in Review of Biblical Literature on June 21, 2009.
- Review of Edgar Kellenberger, Die Verstockung Pharaos: Exegetische und auslegungsgeschichtliche Untersuchungen zu Exodus 1-15 (BWANT. Kohlhammer, 2006). Published in Review of Biblical Literature on December 26, 2009.
- Review of Mosheh Lichtenstein, Moses: Envoy of God, Envoy of His People (Jersey City, N.J.: Ktav, 2008). Published in Review of Biblical Literature on August 16, 2010.
- Review of Thomas Dozeman, ed. Methods for Exodus (Cambridge University Press, 2010). Published in Review of Biblical Literature on August 3, 2011.
- "'There arose a king who did not know Joseph'": The Joseph Novella as Prologue to the "Moses Biography." Presented in the Pentateuch section at the SBL Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2007.
- "Moses as Israel's Divine Savior in Exodus 2: A Proposal." Presented in the Pentateuch section at the SBL Annual
Meeting, San Antonio, 2004.
- "Return to Yahweh for Restoration: Analysis of Jeremiah 3:6-18." Presented in the Prophets section at the SBL
Annual Meeting, San Francisco, 1997.
- Conference Presentation: "'Sweeter than Honey': Toward a Theology of Torah," at the Christian Scholars
Conference, David Lipscomb University, June 2010.
- Lectureship speaker, "Strategies for Preaching and Teaching Ecclesiastes." Harding University, 2009.
- Conference Presentation, "'It is an awesome thing I will do with you' (Exod 34:10): Toward a Theology of
Exodus," at the Christian Scholars' Conference, David Lipscomb University, June 2009.
- Lectureship speaker, "Resources for Preaching and Teaching Exodus". Pepperdine University, 2009.
- Seminar presentation: "Preaching Exodus" for the Expositor's Seminar, Cascade College, Portland, Or,