Meet the Faculty
Assistant Professor of Teacher Education
Division: Humanities/Teacher Education Division
Office: Cultural Arts Center (CAC) 310
Phone: (310) 506-4271
Fax: (310) 506-7307
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of California Santa Barbara, 2002
- M.A., Education, University of California Santa Barbara, 1999
- M.A., Spanish, University of California Santa Barbara, 1995
- B.A., Spanish, Pepperdine University, 1991, Cum Laude
- Educational Psychology
- KECK First Year Seminar - Discovering the Secret to Inspirational Teaching
- Student Teaching in the Secondary School I & II
- Educational Technology Workshop
- Summer 2008, Finalist for the Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence, Pepperdine University.
- 2005-2006: Seaver College Named Fellowship, 1994
- 2004: Recognized Mentor for Seaver College Honor Wall for Fulbright Scholar, Ashley Foster, 1997
- Member, Computer Using Educators
- Member, Kappa Delta Pi Education Honor Society
- Beginning Teacher Support
- Educational Technology
- Undergraduate Research
- Erbes, S. & Klingel. A. (2012, July-Sept.). "What Can A Student Teacher Learn from Undergraduate Research?" Kappa Delta Pi Record Journal, 100-104
- Erbes, S, Folkerts, M., Gergis, C., Pederson, S., & Stivers. H. (2009). "Understanding how cognitive psychology can inform and improve Spanish vocabulary acquisition in high school classrooms." Journal of Instructional Psychology, in press.
- Erbes, S. (2008). "Interdisciplinary efforts used to assess research experiences for undergraduates." Council of Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 29(2), 34-42.
- Erbes, S. (2007). What teachers should know but textbooks don't show. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- June 2012: "An Introduction to Sakai for New Faculty", session presented at the annual Sakai Conference, Atlanta, GA
- April 2012: Keynote Speaker, Loqui Event: A Celebration of Diversity and Inclusive Excellence, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA (http://youtu.be/euuuuns9QwI)
- Fall 2009: "The Scholarship of Teaching", session presented at the annual Teaching Professor Conference, Boston, MA
- March 2011: "Greatest Hits CUE 2006-2010 & Imagining the Future", session presented at the Computer Using Educators (CUE) Conference in Palm Springs, CA
- April 2009: Poster presentation, American Educational Research Association, "Interdisciplinary Efforts Used to Assess Research Experiences for Undergraduates". Co-presented with student: Sarah Beth Moore.
- March 2009: Co-Keynote Speaker with Dr. Stephen Davis, Summer Undergraduate Research Banquet, Pepperdine University.