Meet the Faculty
Rebecca Y. Kim
Associate Professor of Sociology
Frank R. Seaver Professor in Social Science
M.A., Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles
B.A., Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles
Courses Taught:Introduction to Sociology; Research Methods; Social Theory; Race and Ethnic Relations; Social Stratification
Research Areas:Immigration (international migration; Korean Diaspora)
Missions ("reverse" missions; world Christianity)
Race and Ethnic Relations (interethnic relations; inter and intra group differences with an emphasis on Asian Americans)
Sociology of Religion (immigrant churches; immigrants and their children's religiosity; ethnic and multiethnic churches; campus evangelicalism; missionaries)
The New Second Generation (the education of immigrant and refugee children; intergenerational relations; Asian Americans' religious participation; Korean American Christians)
- The Spirit Moves West: Korean Missionaries in America (Oxford University Press 2015). Also available for pre-order from Amazon.
- God's New Whiz Kids? Second-generation Korean American Evangelicals on Campus. (New York: New York University Press 2006). Also available from Amazon.
- 2013. "Korean Missionaries: Preaching the Gospel to "All Nations," including the United States," in Religion on the Move! New Dynamics of Religious Expansion in a Globalizing World, edited by Afe Adogame and Shobana Snankar. Lieden: Brill Publishers.
- 2012. "Revival and Renewal: Korean American Evangelicals beyond Immigrant Enclaves." Studies in World Christianity 18.3:291-232 (with Sharon Kim).
- 2012. "Second-generation Korean American Christians' Communities of Faith" in Sustaining Faith Traditions: Race, Ethnicity and Religion among the Latino and Asian American Second Generation, edited by Carolyn Chen and Russell Jeung. New York: New York University Press (with Sharon Kim)
- 2012. "The Transformation of Chinese America: New York v. Los Angeles." New York and Los Angeles: The Uncertain Future, edited by David Halle and Andrew A. Beveridge. New York: Oxford University Press (with Min Zhou and Margaret May Chin)
- 2011. "Religion and Ethnicity: Theoretical Connections" in Religions 2: 312-329.
- 2007. "Asian Americans for Jesus: Changing the Face of Campus Evangelicalism," in the Social Science Research Council's Online Forums and Essays.
- 2004. "Second-Generation Korean American Evangelicals: Ethnic, Multiethnic, or White Campus Ministries?" Sociology of Religion 65(1): 19-34.
- 2002. "Ethnic Differences in Academic Achievement Between Vietnamese and Cambodian Children: Cultural and Structural Explanations." The Sociological Quarterly 43(2): 213-235.