Meet the Faculty
Holden S. MacRae
Professor of Sports Medicine
Coordinator of Sports Medicine
Division: Natural Science Division
Office: Rockwell Academic Center (RAC) 197
Phone: (310) 506-4278
- Ph.D., Physiology, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1991
- M.Ed., Exercise Physiology, University of Texas at Austin, 1984
- B.S., Sports Science, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1981
- B.A., English and Physical Education, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa, 1979
- Human Physiology
- Physiology of Exercise
- Exercise in Health & Disease
- Research in Sports Medicine
- Exercise Seminar
- Research Physiologist, Division General Medicine, V.A. Greater Los Angeles Health Care System.
- Editorial Board, ACSM's Health and Fitness Journal
- American Physiological Society
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Southwest Chapter, American College of Sports Medicine
- $18,550 Veterans Administration, 1999 (Co-investigator)
- $8,855 CardioDyne, 1996 (Principal investigator)
- $1,694,340 National Institute on Aging, 1995 (Co-investigator)
- $20,000 Claude Pepper Older Adult Independence Center, 1995 (Principal investigator)
- Determination of optimal training thresholds in sub-elite and elite cyclists and runners.
- Exercise intervention strategies in clinical populations to reduce morbidity associated with the disease process.
- The metabolic, cardiovascular, and muscular variables that contribute to optimal exercise performance during high-intensity exercise.