Meet the Faculty
David M. Strong
Professor of Mathematics
Division: Natural Science Division
Office: Rockwell Academic Center (RAC) 116
Phone: (310) 506-6069
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, University of California Los Angeles, 1997
- M.S. in Applied Mathematics, University of California Los Angeles, 1994
- B.S. in Mathematics, Brigham Young University, 1992, Summa Cum Laude Distinction
- Linear Algebra
- Numerical Analysis
- Differential Equations
- Mathematics for Business Students
- Tooma Grant for Undergraduate Research, 2010
- National Science Foundation CURM Grant for Undergraduate Research, 2008 - 2009
- Pepperdine Research Fellow, Multiple years
- Pepperdine Dean's Research Fund, Multiple years
- MAA Project NExT Mentor for New Math Faculty, 2000-2001
- UCLA Department of Mathematics Distinguished Teaching Award, 1999
- GAANN Graduate Fellowship, 1992 - 1997
- Valedictorian, BYU College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, 1992
- Society Member: SIAM (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics), MAA (Mathematical Association of America), AMS (American Mathematical Society)
- National Committee Member: MAA Committee on Undergraduate Research
- Creation and Effective Use of Mathematical Software
- Image Processing
- Undergraduate Research
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- K. Anderson, A. Burt, W. Cousins, B. Hancock, D. Strong. "A Sinkhorn-Knopp Fixed Point Problem," Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, to appear.
- D. Strong, J.-F. Aujol, T. Chan. "Scale recognition, regularization parameter selection, and Meyer's G norm in total variation regularization," Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 5 (2006), pp. 273 -303.
- D. Strong."An Applet and On-line Tutorial for the Jacobi, Gauss-Seidel and SOR Methods," Journal of Online Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 5 (2005).
- D. Strong and T. Chan, "Edge-preserving and Scale-dependent Properties of Total Variation Regularization," Inverse Problems, Vol. 19 (2003), pp. 165 -187.
- D. Strong, "Why it Might Seem That Christmas is Coming Early This Year," The College Mathematics Journal, Vol. 32 (2001), pp. 376 - 377.