Meet the Faculty
Professor of Biology
- Ph.D., Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, 1993
- B.A., Science Education, Lubbock Christian University, 1989
- Advanced Cellular Biochemistry
- Cell Biology
- Genetics and Human Affairs
- Southern California Conference for Undergraduate Research, Board of Directors (2012-present)
- Frank R. Seaver Professor in Natural Science, 2010-2015
- Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence (Pepperdine Univ.) - 2006
- Seaver College Research Fellow, Pepperdine University (1999-2000, 2001-2002)
- Grant awards from: National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, Parsons Foundation
- American Society for Cell Biology: National Research/Educational Society (1993- present)
- Genome Consortium for Active Teaching (GCAT) - (2001 - present)
- Project Kaleidoscope: National Educational Society - Appointed 2001
- Council for Undergraduate Research (CUR) -- Pepperdine Liaison - Appointed 2003
- Congressional Liaison Committee: advocates for Federal support of research - Appointed 1999
- Programmed cell death (apoptosis)
- Strategies for teaching science
- Stress signaling in cells
- Stress-induced apoptosis in neurons
- Loucks FA*, Shcroeder EK, Zommer A, Hilger S*, Kelsey NA, Bouchard RJ, Blackstone C, Bouchard RJ, Blackstone C, Brewster JL, DA Linseman (2009), Caspases indirectly regulate cleavage of the mitochondrial fusion GTPase OPA1 in neurons undergoing apoptosis, Brain Research, 1250:63-74.
- Baggato B, Brewster JL, Burggren W, and L Hester (1st Ed. 2002, 2nd Ed. 2004, 3rd Ed 2007), Biological Sciences: Review/Study Guide, Prentice Hall Publishers, New York. Chapters 9 through 20; genetics and developmental biology.
- Brewster JL, Linseman DA, Bouchard RJ, Loucks FA*, Precht TA, Esch EA*, and KA Heidenreich (2006), Trophic factor withdrawal and endoplasmic reticulum stress generate distinct signals that converge at GSK-3? to trigger mitochondrial apoptosis in neurons, Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, 32: 242-253.
- Niederer* K, Morrow* D, Gettings* J, Irick* M, Krawiecki* A, and JL Brewster (2005), Cypermethrin blocks a mitochondria-dependent apoptotic signal initiated by deficient N-linked glycosylation within the endoplasmic reticulum. Cellular Signalling, 17(2):177-86.
- Brewster JL, Beason KB, Eckdahl TT, and IM Evans (2004), The Microarray Revolution: Perspectives from Educators, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 32(4):217-227.
- Runner* VM, and JL Brewster (2003), A genetic screen for yeast genes induced by sustained osmotic stress, Yeast, 20:913-920.
- Brewster JL, Martin SL, Toms J, Goss D, Wang K, Zachrone K, Davis A., Carlson G, Hood L, and JD Coffin (2000), Deletion of Dad1 in mice induces an apoptosis-associated embryonic death, Genesis: The Journal of Genetics and Development, 26:271-278.
- Brewster JL, O'Moore J, and WR Crain (1999), Use of enhanced differential display to identify gene expression differences in male and female mouse genital ridges, Oocytes and Embryos: A comparative methods approach to the study of oocytes and embryos, Oxford University Press, pp. 157-169.
- Schuller C, Brewster JL, Alexander M, Gustin MC, and H Ruis (1994), The HOG pathway controls osmotic regulation of transcription via the stress response element (STRE) of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae CTT1 gene, The EMBO Journal, 13:4382-4389.
- Brewster JL, and MC Gustin (1994), Positioning of cell growth and division after osmotic stress requires a MAP kinase pathway, Yeast, 10:425-439.
- Brewster JL, de Valoir T, Dwyer* N Winter E, and MC Gustin (1993), An osmosensing signal transduction pathway in yeast, Science, 259:1760-1763.
- Brewster JL and MC Gustin (2014), The HOG1 kinase: Twenty Years of Discovery and Impact, Science Signaling, 7(343): 1-10.
- Murphy LA*, Ramirez EA*, Trinh VT*, Herman AM*, Anderson VC*, and JL Brewster (2011), Endoplasmic reticulum stress or mutation of an EF-hand Ca2+-binding domain directs the FKBP65 rotamase to an ERAD-based proteolysis, Cell Stress and Chaperones, 16(6): 607-619.
- Brewster JL (2011), A Life in Science: Book Review of "Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling" by Laura L Mays Hoopes, CBE Life Sciences Education, 10:237-238. (published again in CBE Life Sciences Education "Highlights of 2011 Edition")
- (* denotes undergraduate research student)