Meet the Faculty
Leslie Kreiner Wilson
Director, MFA Program in Writing for Screen and Television
Division: Humanities/Teacher Education Division
Office: Cultural Arts Center (CAC) 107
Phone: (310) 506-7152
Fax: (310) 506-7307
- Ph.D., American Literature and Film Studies, Claremont Graduate University
- M.A., English, Florida State University
- B.S., Journalism and Communications, University of Florida
- Storyteller as Cultural Leader
- Great Books and Film
- Film Theory and Criticism
- History of American Cinema
- Creative Nonfiction and the Documentary
- Professional Writing
- Creative Writing for the Professional Market
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Screen and Television Writing
- Literary Study: American Women Writers
- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- Brett J. Love Teaching Award
- Christianity and Literature
- Claremont Graduate University Fellowship
- Claremont Student Council Award
- Council of Editors of Learned Journals
- Council of Writing Program Administrators
- Editor-in-Chief and Executive Director, Americana
- Modern Language Association
- Pepperdine University AYURI Grant
- Pepperdine University CDIUR Grant
- Pepperdine University Randall Faculty Grant
- Pepperdine University SURP Grant
- Seaver Research Grant
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
- Society for the Study of American Women Writers
- American Film
- American Literature (1900-present)
- American Studies/Popular Culture Studies (1900-present)
- Creative Writing
- Nonfiction Writing
- Frances Marion, Studio Politics, Film Censorship, and the Box Office: Or, The Business of Adapting Dinner at Eight at MGM, 1933 (journal article), Literature/Film Quarterly, forthcoming.
- The Education of Frances Marion and Irving Thalberg: Censorship, Development, and Distribution at MGM, 1927-1930 (journal article), Quarterly Review of Film and Video, 30.5, forthcoming.
- Frances Marion: Censorship and the Screenwriter in Hollywood, 1929-1931 (journal article), Journal of Screenwriting, 3.2, 2012.
- Wrestling Bartleby: Another Workshop Model for the Creative Writing Classroom (book chapter), published in Does the Writing Workshop Still Work?, Multilingual Matters Press (UK), 2010.
- Americana: Readings in Popular Culture, Revised Edition (edited essay collection), Press Americana, 2010 (adopted by the American Public University System).
- Fighting Words (script), AMI/Film Americana in association with Autumn Productions for Grace Creek Media, winner of the Platinum Remi Award at WorldFest International Film Festival, broadcast on PBS, 2009.
- A Little North of Hollywood (poetry collection), The Poetry Press, 2009
- The Quilt (novel), Hollywood Books International, 2008.
- Mississippi Son (script), AMI/Film Americana, winner of several awards at such film festivals as IndieFest USA, DocuFest, and Mississippi's Tupelo Film Festival, broadcast on TVN, European television, and Halogen TV, 2007.
- Frankie Laine (script), AMI/Film Americana in association with JFM International, broadcast on PBS and American Public Television, 2006.
- "Is It Any Religion at All You Have?": Teaching Frances Marion, Eugene O'Neill, and the Adaptation of Anna Christie, Conference on Christianity and Literature, Los Angeles, California, 16-18 May 2013.
- If I Knew Then What I Know Now: Top Tips for Screenwriters (short film), premiered at the Fifth Annual Fall Literary Arts Festival, Malibu, California, 6 December 2012.
- Frances Marion: Adaptation and the Making of the Female Self in Early Twentieth Century American Popular Culture, Society for the Study of American Women Writers Conference, Denver, Colorado, 10-13 October 2012.
- Frances Marion: Ethics and Screenwriting in Hollywood, 1929-1930, Pepperdine University Humanities Symposium, Malibu, California, 18 January 2012.
- Notes on Craft: Screenwriting Techniques (short film), premiered at the Fourth Annual Fall Literary Arts Festival, Malibu, California, 8 December 2011.
- Chat with an Editor, Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Los Angeles, California, 6-9 January 2011.
- Will Publications Perish?: The Paradigm Shift in Scholarly Communication, Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Los Angeles, California, 6-9 January 2011.
- Notes on Craft: Character (short film), premiered at the Third Annual Fall Literary Arts Festival, Malibu, California, 28 October 2010.
- "Something's Crossed Over in Me and I Can't Go Back": Spiritual Conversions/Border Inversions in the Literature and Film of Late Twentieth Century American Women Writers, California American Studies Association Conference, California State University, Long Beach, California, 16-17 April 2010.
- Faith and the Hollywood Box Office: Notes on The Blind Side and The Book of Eli, Cinema Studies Conference in conjunction with the City of Angels Film Festival, Los Angeles Film Studies Center, Los Angeles, California, 12-14 March 2010.
- Hollywood North: Canada in the Age of the Film and Television Action Committee, ACSUS Biennial International Conference, San Diego, California, 18-22 November 2009.
- Pepperdine, Media, and Culture: Preparing Students in a Global Context, wrote, produced, and screened a short film about the MFA Program in Writing for Screen and Television, Pepperdine University Faculty Conference, Malibu, California 18-22 November 2009.
- Storyteller as Cultural Leader, Pepperdine University Humanities Symposium, Malibu, California, 25 March 2009.
- Act One Screenwriting Conference, Invited Panelist, Phoenix, Arizona, 11-12 April 2008.
- Pepperdine and Cultural Leadership: Initiatives to Impact Culture through the Arts and Media, Pepperdine University Faculty Conference, Malibu, California, 5 October 2007.
- "Brave New World": Popular Culture and the Creative Writing Curriculum, Southwest Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 14-17 February 2007.
- Confronting Newland Archer: Digital Media and the Creative Writing Classroom, The International Digital Media and Arts Conference, San Diego, California, 9-11 November 2006.
- "Subtle Seductions": Harry Potter and Conservative Christianity, Pottermania, University of California, Riverside, California, 14 October 2005.
- Chat with an Editor, Modern Language Association Annual Convention, San Diego, California, 27-30 December 2003.
- Ford Country: The Metaphorical Magic of Monument Valley, wrote, produced, and screened a short film, Southwest Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 13-17 February 2002.