Meet the Faculty
Distinguished Professor of Music
Chair in Classical Guitar
Division: Fine Arts Division
Office: Cultural Arts Center (CAC) 200
Phone: (310) 506-4462
- Honorary Doctor of Music, Montana State University, 1983
- Founded the guitar department, University of Southern California, 1968
- Private Guitar Instruction
- Guitar Ensemble
- Performance Skills
- All Student Classical Guitar Classes
- Group Guitar Class
- Public Master Class
- Guitar Foundation of American Hall of Fame's "Artistic Achievement Award," 2012
- Artistic Director, Parkening International Guitar Competition, founded 2006, Pepperdine University
- Distinguished Artist Award, 2003, University of Michigan Musical Society, Ann Arbor, MI
- Gibson Award, "Best Classical Guitarist," 2000
- Sacred Music USA magazine's "Instrumentalist of the Year," 1996
- American Academy of Achievement Award, 1993
- Board of Directors, Grace To You (nationally syndicated radio and tape ministry of Grace Community Church), 1992-present
- Guitar Player magazine's readers' poll winner, "Best Classical Guitarist," (retired into Hall of Fame, 1991, for numerous wins in category)
- Grammy® nomination for Pleasures of Their Company, "Best Classical Album, "1986
- Frets magazine's "Gallery of the Greats," 1988, based on numerous wins for "Best Classical Guitar"
- IMG Artists, Inc, 1994-2010
- Columbia Artists Management Company, Inc., 1969-1994
- Grammy® nomination for Parkening and the Guitar, "Album of the Year, Classical," 1977
- National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, 1969-present
- Local 47 Musicians' Union, 1969-present
- Guide my students toward a goal of concert performance while equipping them with a broad-based knowledge of academics and the music industry.
- Mentor my students with an emphasis on their commitment to personal excellence in their lives and with the music they play.
- Pass on to my students the legacy taught me by the great guitarist, Andrés Segovia, who moved millions with his poetic, lyrical phrasing, beautiful sound, and romantic, beautiful spirit.
- Christopher Parkening: Solo Pieces, 2008. Hal Leonard Corporation HL00690939.
- Christopher Parkening: Duets & Concertos, 2008. Hal Leonard Corporation HL00690938.
- Virtuoso Performances (DVD), 2008. Hal Leonard Corporation HL00320506.
- Jubilation(with Jubilant Sykes), 2007. EMI/Angel Records 00946-3-56421-2-4.
- Grace Like a River (an autobiography), 2006. Tyndale House Publications 978-1-4143-0046-7.
- Grace Like a River, 2006. EMI/Angel Records 00946-3-56418-2-0.
- Bernstein: Concerto for the Guitar, 2000. EMI/Angel Records 7243-5-56859-2-6.
- Stepmom (solo, movie soundtrack), 1998. Sony Classical SK 61649.
- Christopher Parkening Celebrates Segovia, 1998. EMI/Angel Records 07243-5-56730-0-8.
- The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method, Volume 1 (in collaboration with Jack Marshall and David Brandon), 1998. Hal Leonard Corporation HL695228.
- The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method, Volume 2 (in collaboration with David Brandon), 1998. Hal Leonard Corporation HL695229.
- Parkening Plays Bach, 1997. Hal Leonard Corporation HL699104.
- Romanza, 1997. Hal Leonard Corporation HL699103.
- Parkening and the Guitar, Volume 1, 1997. Hal Leonard Corporation, HL699105.
- Parkening and the Guitar, Volume 2, 1997. Hal Leonard Corporation, HL699106.
- Sacred Music for the Guitar, Volume 1, 1997. Hal Leonard Corporation, HL699095.
- Sacred Music for the Guitar, Volume 2, 1997. Hal Leonard Corporation, HL699100.
- Angels' Glory (with Kathleen Battle), 1996. Sony Classical SK 62723.
- Christopher Parkening Plays Vivaldi, 1994. EMI/Angel Records 7243-5-55052-2-4.
- Joaquín Rodrigo and William Walton Concertos, 1993. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-54665-2-2.
- The Artistry of Christopher Parkening, 1993. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-54853-2-5.
- The Great Recordings, 1993. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-54905-2-7.
- A Tribute to Segovia, 1991. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-49404-2-9.
- The Sounds of Christmas (with Julie Andrews and the London Symphony Orchestra), 1990. Hallmark Cards, Inc. 620XPR9707.
- Virtuoso Duets (with David Brandon), 1990. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-49406-2-7.
- In the Spanish Style, 1986. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-47194-2-1.
- Pleasures of Their Company (with Kathleen Battle), 1986. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-47196-2-9.
- Parkening Plays Bach, 1985. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-47191-2-4.
- A Bach Celebration, 1985. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-47195-2-0.
- Simple Gifts, 1982. EMI/Angel Records 0777-7-47525-2-7.