The entrance audition must display a level of development that will allow students to start with the listed repertoire or comparable literature. The point of the audition is to demonstrate your current level of playing, so choose works that showcase your sound, musicianship and musical strengths. The guidelines can be used for all programs and majors although applied majors should naturally anticipate a higher entrance standard than other majors.
Live and taped auditions are accepted; however, if you wish to be considered for available scholarships a live audition is preferred. Taped auditions should be received no later than February 3.
- All major scales (three octaves for B-flat, and C; two octaves for all others.
- Two contrasting etudes from Weissenborn 50 Advanced Studies or one etude from Milde Concert Studies, vol. 1.
- One movement from a standard concerto (Mozart, Weber, Vivaldi, Hummel) or sonata (Hindemith, Saint-Saëns, Telemann, Hurlstone, Cascarino) or a single movement work in its entirety (Elgar Romance, PiernéSolo de Concerto, Op. 35 or Prelude de Concert, Bourdeau Premier Solo, Osborne Rhapsody) either from the list or a similar composition.
- Performance of a chromatic scale from low E to high G, and two major scales - F major and E major - three octaves.
- Ability to perform two contrasting Rose Etudes from the Hite book specifically addressing articulation.
- Contrasting selections from standard clarinet literature. Standard literature should be representative of works such as:
Weber Concertos or Concertino
Stamitz Concertos Mozart Concerto
Schumann, Fantasy Pieces
Or such 20th Century works as
Stravinsky, Three Pieces
- One technical etude or study of your choice and all major and minor scales
- One movement from any Bach Sonata
- One movement from a standard concerto
- Basic knowledge of reed making is required.
- Scales. Major scales in two octaves up to E-flat and chromatic scale.
- One etude. Suggested etudes can be found in the Barret Oboe Method, Brod Oboe Method, and Ferling Forty-eight Etudes.
- A solo comparable in difficulty to Bellini Concerto, Donizetti Sonata, Guilhaud Concertino, Haydn Concerto, Hindemith Sonata, Hummell Adagio, Theme and Variations, Mozart Quartet or Concerto, Paladilhe Solo de Concert, Saint-Saëns Sonata, and Telemann Sonata in A-minor.
The etude and solo must be contrasting works that demonstrate a good demand of tone, technique, articulation and musicianship.
- Scales. All Major and chromatic scales full range in various articulations.
- 1 slow musical selection
- 1 fast musical selection
- The audition must display a level of technical, musical and tonal development in works that are comparable in difficulty to the following: Rueff Chanson et Passepied (Leduc Publishing), Ibert Aria (Leduc Publishing), Bozza Aria (Leduc Publishing), Lantier Sicilienne (Leduc Publishing), Eccles Sonata (arr. Rascher, Elkan Vogel Publishing), Ward An Abstract (Southern Music Publishing), Bonneau Suite (Leduc Publishing), Tcherepnine Sonatine Sportive (Leduc Publishing) or Hartley Petite Suite (Crescendo Publishing).