Assistant Professor of Religion
Religion and Philosophy Division, Seaver College
- PhD Systematic and Philosophical Theology, Graduate Theological Union, 2011
- MDiv, Pepperdine University, 2000
- MS Bible and Ministry, Lubbock Christian University, 1998
- BA Liberal Arts, Lubbock Christian University, 1996
- BS Bible and Ministry, Lubbock Christian University, 1995
- Sunset International Bible Institute, 1994
- Book Trilogy: Theology in the Mode of Monk: An Aesthetics of Barth and Cone on Revelation and Freedom, Cascade Books, [forthcoming 2019].
- Signifyin(g) Monk: Karl Barth and the Ellipsis of the Imagination of Matter, Cascade Press, [in progress toward 2020 release].
- CREDO: In Monk Mode. Cascade Press, [in progress toward 2021 release].
- "Can Work Be Redeemed through Play? (Or Why is Playing not an Option?)" in Blessed Are Those Who Ask The Questions. ed., Jaye Smith, Information Age Publishing, IAP .
- "Fired in the Crucible of Oppression: Toward a Theology of Spiritual Freedom" in Methodological Orientations: Assessment and Appreciation of the Thought of Charles H. Long, eds., David Carrasco and Jennifer Reid, The Davies Group, : 179-197.
- "Foreword," 'The Living God and Playful Encounter' in The First Christians' Genotype for Multicultural Living (New Testament Micro-Ethics---On Trusting Freedom) by Raymond Anderson. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2018.
- Critical Review, Hopes Sings So Beautifully, by Christopher Pramuk. The Merton Annual: Studies in Culture, Spirituality and Social Concerns, 27 (2014): 248-253.
- "Merton and Barth in Dialogue on Faith and Understanding: A Hermeneutics of Freedom and Ambiguity" The Merton Annual: Studies in Culture, Spirituality, and Social Concerns, vol. 26. (2013): 181-194.
- "A Theological Response to 'The Living God and the Contest with Idols'" in Leonard Allen, The Cruciform Church: Becoming a Cross-Shaped People in a Secular World. ACU University Press, 2016: 125-128.
- Dissertation: Barth and Cone in Dialogue on Revelation and Freedom: An Analysis of James Cone's Critical Appropriation of "Barthian" Theology. Fall 2011
- "Being Confronted by the Presence of God: Marveling in God's Holiness and Transcendence" in Leaven 14:3 (2006): 139-144
- "Black History is American History," Pepperdine University: News and Events.
Refereed and Invited Presentations
- Conference Paper, "Signifyin(g) Monk: Karl Barth and the Ellipsis of the Imagination of Matter," AAR/SBL Conference, Denver, CO, [November 2018].
- Conference Paper, "The Hedgehog and the Fox: The Spirit of Freedom in the Theologies of Karl Bath and Thomas Merton, International Barth Conference, Faculty of Theology at Steellenbosch University South Africa, [October 21-25, 2018]
- Conference Paper, "Karl Barth and the Ellipsis of the Imagination of Matter," AAR/SBL Conference in Denver, [November 2018]
- Presenter, "Sankofa: James H. Cone and the Making of a Theological Giant," Fuller Theological Seminary, (July 2018)
- Speaker, "Epistrophy: From Romans 13 to Ava Duvernay's 13th" Karl Barth Pastors Conference: The Witness of the Pastor, Princeton Theological Seminary, June 2018.
- Plenary Speaker, "Thelonious Monk" con of the Eschaton: Karl Barth, James Cone and the 'Impossible Possibility' of a Theology of Freedom," Annual Karl Barth Conference, Princeton Theological Seminary, June 2018.
- Panelist, "From Shawshank to Redemption and (Re)creation: Human Freedom and the Imago Dei" in Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying: The Shawshank Redemption and Theological Implications of Freedom, Christian Scholars Conference (CSC) Nashville, TN (June 2018)
- Panelist, "Religion and Empire: At the Crossroads"Southwestern Christian College, November 2017.
- Panelist, "Round Midnight: Karl Barth, James Cone, and the Prison Industrial Complex", Karl Barth Society, AAR Conference, November 2017
- Seminar, "What is Black Theology," [Invited guest of Dr. Kenneth Gilmore] Southwestern Christian College, October 2017
- Moderator and Panelist, "Hearing Sonny's Blues" Christian Scholars Conference (CSC) in Nashville, TN, June 2017
- Presenter, "Thelonious Monk-Icon of the Eschaton: The Pneumatological Impulse in the Theologies of Karl Barth and James Cone" Religious Studies Research Forum, Queens University, Belfast Ireland, May 2017
- Co-Moderator and Respondent, Explorations in Ecclesiology and Race, AAR Western Conference, University of the West, March 2017
- Respondent, "Concluding Conversations with Charles H. Long," The James A. Noel Symposium, October 2016.
- Presenter "James Noel's Aesthetic of Liberation: From the Moan and Shout to Theology in the Mode of Monk."October 2016
- Panelist, Understanding Race in America: A Historical Examination Through the Lens of God's Law and Constitutional Law, School of Public Policy, Pepperdine University, February 2016
- Panelist, Charles Long, Karl Barth, and the (Re)Imagination of Matter, Society for the Study of Religion, AAR Conference, November 2015.
- Conference Paper, "When the Church is Not Enough: The Pneumatological Impulse in the Theologies of Karl Barth and Thomas Merton", International Thomas Merton Society (ITMS), Louisville, KY. June 4-7 2015.
- Conference Paper, "Toward a Theology of the Holy Spirit," Christian Scholars Conference (CSC), Abilene, TX. June 2015.
- Conference Paper, "Theology in the Mode of Monk: The Pneumatological Impulse in the Theologies of Karl Barth and James Cone", AAR/SBL Conference, San Diego, CA. November 2014.
- Symposium Lecturer, "Eschatological Politics: The Pneumatological Impulse in the Theologies of Karl Barth and James Cone," Reason, Revelation & Experience in the Future of Theology Symposium, San Francisco Theological Seminary, San Francisco, CA. March 28-29, 2014.
- Conference Paper, "Barth and Cone in Dialogue: Beyond Ontological Blackness," Karl Barth Conference, Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, NJ. June 2013
- Conference Paper, "Merton and Barth in Dialogue on Faith and Understanding: A Hermeneutics of Freedom and Ambiguity," International Thomas Merton Society (ITMS), Fairfield, CT. June 2013.
- "The Battle is the Lords: Eschatology and Christian Witness in the Book of Revelation," 70th Annual Bible Lectures, Pepperdine University, Malibu CA, May 2013
- International Programs, SALT Series Speaker, Throwing Off the Bowlines, February 2013
- San Francisco Educational Trip Speaker, Locally Engaged Global Leadership, February 2013
- Keynote Speaker, What's Going On in Society Today?, Where Do We Go From Here? USC Black Staff and Faculty Caucus 32nd Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration, January 2013
- Presiding Officer and Panel Moderator, "Critical Conversations on the Cross and the Lynching Tree," with James Cone as invited respondent, American Academy of Religion and Society of Biblical Literature (AAR/SBL) Conference, Chicago, IL. November 2012.
- Convocation Series Speaker, The Spiritual Practice of Peace, Pepperdine University, December 2012
- Moderator for Panel at AAR/SBL Conference in Chicago, Critical Conversations on the Cross and the Lynching Tree, Chicago November 2012
- Guest Lecturer, Interpretation from Karl Barth to Liberation Theology, Dr. Danny Matthews, Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, REL 302/502, AC 286 November 1, 2012
- Featured Speaker, Free to Date Club Convo Student Dorms, October 11, 2012
- Featured Speaker, Faith and Vocation in a Pluralistic World, Waves Weekend Faculty Lecture Series, Student Affairs, October 13, 2012
- Faculty Volunteer, Dunk Tank Waves Weekend, Student Activities October 13, 2012
- Se ssion Speaker, God's Sovereign Freedom: Election and Jewish Christian Relations in Romans 9-11, 69th Annual Bible Lectures, Pepperdine University, Malibu CA, Friday May 4th 2012
- Invocation, Seaver College Graduation Banquet, Pepperdine University, April 27th, 2012.
- Keynote Address for Senior Celebration, Black Student Association (BSA), April 6th, 2012.
- Feature Film Respondent and Moderator, Life in a Day, Reel Stories Film Festival, February 27, 2012.
- Featured Speaker, Where Do We Go From Here, The Africana Students of Psychology and Education Association (ASPEA), Pepperdine Graduate School of Psychology, February 25, 2012
- Retreat Small Group Facilitator, Spiritual Discernment Retreat: Press Pause, Center for faith and Learning, La Casa Maria Retreat Center, Santa Barbara, CA. November 2011
- Keynote Address, The Gift of Diversity, Pepperdine University Multicultural Graduation Celebration, April 29, 2011
- Keynote Address, The Abundant Life, Pepperdine University Baccalaureate Ceremony, April 29, 2011
- Keynote Address, The Gift of Honor: Being Honored and Being Honorable, Pepperdine University Student Athlete Academic Honor's Luncheon, April 14, 2010
- Convo Series Speaker, Finding Freedom, Seaver College Chapel, Convocation Office, Student Affairs, Firestone Fieldhouse, April 6, 2010
- Retreat Small Group Facilitator, Spiritual Discernment Retreat: Soul Food Life in Community, Center for faith and Learning, La Casa Maria Retreat Center, Santa Barbara, CA. November 2010
- Respondent, Black Men in America: A Christian Perspective, Pepperdine University Intercultural Affairs Office, November 12, 2010
- Speaker, Introduction to Seaver Dean's Distinguished Lecture, Cornel West: The Vocational Sensibilities of a Blues Philosopher, October 2009
- Session Speaker, Graced: A Theological View of Family in light of the Kingdom of God, Boone Center for the Family of Faith Network, June 18, 2009.
- Keynote Speaker, The God of Heaven, 3rd Annual Norman D. Hill Foundation Lectures, Minister's Retreat. Atlanta, GA 2006
- Session Speaker, Being Confronted by the Presence of God: Marveling in God's Holiness and Transcendence, 63rd Annual Bible Lectures, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA, Tuesday May 4, 2006
- Keynote Address, I'll Never Forget, Black Baccalaureate, Pepperdine University, Student Activities, April 2001
- Visiting Lecturer Religion, Heidelberg Germany, Pepperdine University, Summer 2017
- Visiting Lecturer of Religion, Heidelberg Germany, Pepperdine University, Summer 2016
- Dean's Research Grant, Seaver College, Pepperdine University, 2015
- Visiting Lecturer of Religion, Lausanne Switzerland, Pepperdine University, Summer 2014
- Visiting Lecturer of Religion, Shanghai China, Pepperdine University, Summer 2012
- Howard A. White Non-tenured Teaching Award, 2013
- Seaver Named Fellowship, Dean of Seaver College Office, 2013
- Dissertation Honor: Pass with Distinction, Graduate Theological Union, 2011
- George H. Mayr Foundation, Scholarship, Graduate Theological Union, 2005, 2005
- Summa Cum Laude, GPA 4.0/4.0 President's Honor Award at Lubbock Christian, 1995
- Valedictorian at Sunset International Bible Institute, 1994
- Selected to attend Recruitment Conference 2000, sponsored by SBL, AAR, ATS and the Fund for Theological Education, Berkeley, CA, September 22-24, 2000
- 2018-Present: Society for the Study of Black Religion
- 2016-Present Society for the Study of Religion
- 2013-Present International Thomas Merton Society
- 2010-Present Karl Barth Society of North America
- 2001-Present American Academy of Religion
- Black Liberation Theology
- Ecumenical Theology
- Jazz Aesthetics
- The Protestant Reformation
- The Theology of Karl Bath
- Theological Aesthetics
- Theological Ethics
- REL 101: Old Testament in Context
- REL 301: Christianity and Culture: Theology Born of Struggle
- REL 301: Christianity and Culture: Theologies Born of Struggle
- REL 592: 500 Yrs. Of Reformation: The Road to Freedom
- REL 599: Directed Studies
Theology of William Stringfellow
Womanist of Christology and James Cone
Christianity and Islam in Dialog