Meet the Faculty
Stephen D. Davis
Distinguished Professor of Biology
Division: Natural Science Division
Office: Rockwell Academic Center (RAC) 119
Phone: (310) 506-4324
- Ph.D., Biology, Texas A&M
- M.S., Biology, Abilene Christian University
- B.S., Biology, Abilene Christian University
- Plant Physiological Ecology
- Biology of Plants
- Plant Ecology
- Plants and the Environment (General Studies)
- Tropical Forest Ecology of Costa Rica
- Microbes and Infectious Diseases
- SURB (Summer Undergraduate Research in Biology)
- 2008 Robert Foster Cherry Award for Great Teaching (Baylor University)
- 2005-2009 National Science Foundation (REU-SITE: Research Experience for Undergraduates)
- 2002-05 National Science Foundation (RUI: Linking Xylem Functional Traits to Life-History Type)
- Professor of the Year, Pepperdine University (2002)
- Distinguished Professor (1997, 2002, 2007)
- Harriet and Charles Luckman Distinguished Teaching Fellow (1990-1995)
- Plant physiological ecology -- Investigating plant adaptations to wildfire, drought, and freezing.
- Plant water relations in chaparral and coastal sage scrub vegetation of California
- Relationship of cold tolerance to chaparral shrub distribution and climate change
- Pratt, R.B., A.L. Jacobsen, *J. Hernandez, F.W. Ewers, G.B. North, and S.D. Davis. 2012. Allocation tradeoffs among chaparral shrub seedlings with different life history types (Rhamnaceae). American Journal Botany 24:70-81.
- *Ramirez, A.R., B.R. Pratt, A.L. Jacobsen, and S.D. Davis. 2012. Exotic deer diminish post-fire resilience of native shrub communities on Santa Catalina Island, southern California. Plant Ecology 213:1037-1047.
- Wiens, D., L. Allphin, M. Wall, M. R. Slaton, S. D. Davis. 2012. Population decline in Adenostoma sparsifiolium (Rosaceae): an ecogenetic hypothesis for background extinction. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 105: 269-292.
- Pratt, R.B., G.B. North, A.L. Jacobsen, F.W. Ewers, and S.D. Davis. 2010.
Xylem root and shoot hydraulics is linked to life history type in chaparral seedlings (Rhamnaceae). Functional Ecology 24:70-81.
- Jacobsen, A.L., R.B. Pratt, S.D. Davis, and F.W. Ewers. 2008 Comparative community physiology: nonconvergence in water relations among three semi-arid shrub communities. New Phytologist 80:100-113.
- Pratt, R.B., A.L. Jacobsen, R. *Mohla, F.W. Ewers, S.D. Davis. 2008.
Linkage between water stress tolerance and life history type in seedlings of nine chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Journal Ecology 96:1252-1265.
- Davis, S.D., A. M. *Helms, M.S. *Heffner, A.R. *Shaver, A.C. *Deroulet, N.L. *Stasiak, S.M. *Vaughn, C.B. *Leake, H.D. *Lee and E.T. *Sayegh. 2007. Chaparral Zonation in the Santa Monica Mountains: The Influence of Freezing Temperatures. Fremontia. 35: 12-15.
- Jacobsen, A.L., R.B. Pratt, S.D. Davis, and F.W. Ewers. 2007. Cavitation resistance and seasonal hydraulics differ among three arid Californian plant communities. Plant, Cell and Environment 30: 1599-1609.
- Witter, M., R.S. Taylor, and S.D. Davis. 2007. Fire history and vegetation response to wildfire in the Santa Monica Mountains, California. In: Flora and Ecology of Santa Monica Mountains: Proceedings of 32nd Annual Southern California Botanists Symposium. D. A. Knapp (Ed.). Page 173-194. Southern California Botanists Special Publication No. 4, Fullerton, California.
- Davis, S.D., R. B. Pratt, F.W. Ewers and J.L. Jacobsen. 2007. Freezing tolerance impacts chaparral species distribution in the Santa Monica Mountains. In: Flora and Ecology of Santa Monica Mountains: Proceedings of 32nd Annual Southern California Botanists Symposium. D. A. Knapp (Ed.). Page 159-172. Southern California Botanists Special Publication No. 4, Fullerton, California.
- Pratt, R.B., A.L. *Jacobsen, K. *Golgotiu, J.S. Sperry, F.W. Ewers, S.D. Davis. 2007. Life history type and water stress tolerance in nine California chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Ecological Monographs. 77:239-253.
- Pratt, R.B., A.L. *Jacobsen, F.W. Ewers, and S.D. Davis. 2007. Relationships among xylem transport, biomechanics and storage in stems and roots of nine Rhamnaceae species of the California chaparral. New Phytologist 74:787-798.
- Jacobsen, A.L., L. Agenbag, K.J. Esler, R.B. Pratt, F.W. Ewers, S.D. Davis. 2007. Xylem density, biomechanics and anatomical traits correlate with water stress in 17 evergreen shrub species of the Mediterranean-type climate region of South Africa. Journal of Ecology. 95:171-183.
- *Jacobsen, A.L., R. Brandon Pratt, F.W. Ewers, and S.D. Davis. 2007. Cavitation resistance among twenty-six chaparral species of southern California. Ecological Monographs. 77:99-115.
- Koch, G.W., S.C. Sillett, G.M. Jennings and S.D. Davis 2004. The limits of tree height. Nature. 428:851-854.
- (* denotes undergraduate students)