Meet the Faculty
Ronald R Cox
Associate Professor of Religion
Division: Religion Division
Office: Appleby Center (APC) 212
Phone: (310) 506-4265
Fax: (310) 506-6907
- Ph.D, University of Notre Dame, 2005
- M.Div., Pepperdine University, 1996
- B.S., California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 1991
- History and Religion of Early Christianity
- Christianity and Culture (The Theology of C.S. Lewis' Fiction)
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
- Pauline Writings II
- History of Christianity -- Ancient and Medieval
- Book Review Editor, Studia Philonica Annual
- Visiting Professor, Seaver International Program, Florence, Italy (2009-2010)
- Lela Armstrong Fellow in Religion (2007-2008)
- Seaver Research Council Grant (2007-2008)
- Seaver Fellow in Religion (2006-2007)
- Voted "Most Influential Faculty Member" by Rochester College Student Body (2004)
- Member, Society of Biblical Literature
- Member, North American Patristic Society
- Pauline Literature (esp. Colossians)
- Philo of Alexandria
- Sethian Gnosticism
- By the Same Word: Creation and Salvation in Hellenistic Judaism and Early Christianity (BZNW; Walter de Gruyter, 2007)
- The New Testament Preaches the Psalms: Problems and Possibilities in Performing the Psalms: And the World Imagined in Scripture, edited by D. Fleer and D. Bland (Chalice Press, 2005)
- The Bible in the Hands of an Angry God: A Sermon on Hebrews 4:12-13 in Preaching Hebrews, edited by D. Fleer and D. Bland (ACU Press, 2003).
- 2008 - "Hebrews 5:11-6:12 as 'Frank Criticism' (Parresia)." Paper accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, Boston, Massachusetts, November.
- 2007 - "'The Mystery Now Revealed': Lohse's Colossians and Philemon as the First Word on Hermeneia." Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, San Diego, California, November.
- 2007 - Visiting Professor, Institute of Theology and Christian Ministry, St. Petersburg, Russia, August.
- 2006 - "Let the Word of Christ Dwell in You Richly: Preaching Colossians." Seminar presented at the Cascade College Expositors' Seminar, Portland, Oregon, January.
- 2006 - "The Church and the Nations." Panel Presentation at the 89th Annual Bible Lectureship, Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas, September.
- 2006 - "Do You Have the Anointing? Learning 'What is True and Is Not a Lie' in 1 John 2:27." Lecture presented at the 63rd Annual Bible Lectureship, Pepperdine University, Malibu, California, May.
- 2005 - "Through Him and To Him: Jesus as Savior and Creator in Colossians 1:15-20." Lectures presented at the 87th Annual Bible Lectureship, Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas, February.
- 2004 - "The New Testament Preaches the Psalms: Problems and Possibilities." Paper presented at the 7th Annual Rochester College Sermon Seminar, Rochester Hills, Michigan, May.
- 1999 - "Philo's Life of Moses: Reading Torah Biographically." Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, Orlando, Florida, November.
- 1999 - "'A Sharp Pen vs. Fragrant Myrrh': Comparing and Contrasting the Commentaries of Cyril of Alexandria and Theodore of Mopsuestia on Psalm 45." Paper presented at The Harp of Prophecy: Early Christian Exegesis of the Psalms Conference, Notre Dame, Indiana, April.
- 1997 - "The History of the Churches of Christ 'Put Another Way': The Historiography of Richard Hughes in the Light of Alasdair MacIntyre." Paper presented to Restoration Theological Research Forum, San Francisco, California, November.