Meet the Faculty
Michael G. Ditmore
Professor of English
Director of American Studies
Division: Humanities/Teacher Education Division
Office: Cultural Arts Center (CAC) 300A
Phone: (310) 506-4182
- Ph.D., English, University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- M.A. English, University of Texas at Austin, 1989
- B.A., English, Austin College, Sherman, TX, 1979, With Honors
- Great Books
- American Literature
- Society of Early Americanists
- American Literature Section of the Modern Language Association
- American literature, culture, and history (before 1900), autobiography and narrative theory, Christianity and literature
- Articles on John Cotton, Thomas Shepard, Thomas Hooker, William Apess, and Devotional Literature in The Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, ed. George T. Kurian and James D. Smith, Scarecrow Press, 2010.
- 'O Supreme Being': Religious Indifference, Theodicy, and Prayer in Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer, in Making Peace in Our Time: Proceedings of the Northeast Regional Conference on Christianity and Literature, October 26-28, 2007, Regis College, Weston, Massachusetts. Ed. Joan F. Hallisey and Mary-Anne Vetterling. Weston, MA: Peace Press at Regis College, 2008, pp. 77-84.
- Edwards - Thoreau - Dillard: Reading/Writing Nature and the Awakened/Awakening Self, in The Contribution of Jonathan Edwards to American Culture and Society: Essays on America's Spiritual Founding Father (The Northampton Tercentenary Celebration 1703-2003). Ed. Richard A.S. Hall. Lewiston: Edwin Mellen Press, 2008, 153-198., 1998
- Bliss Lost, Wisdom Gained: Contemplating Emblems and Enigmas in Anne Bradstreet's 'Contemplations,' Early American Literature 42.1 (2007): 31-72.
- Articles on William Bradford, Samuel Gorton, Thomas Morton, Roger Williams, John Cotton, Thomas Dudley, John Wilson, and the Bay Psalm Book. for The Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Poetry, ed. Jeffrey Gray, 5 vols., (Greenwood Press, 2006).
- Articles on Anne Bradstreet, Anne Hutchinson, Edward Taylor, Increase Mather, Thomas Cobbet, William Hubbard, Edward Winslow, John Eliot, Robert Child, William Bradford, William Pynchon, Samuel Gorton, William Coddington, Family of Love, Laws and Liberties, Moses His Judicials and Mosaic Law for Puritans and Puritanism in Europe and America, ed. Francis J. Bremer and Tom Webster (ABC-CLIO, 2005).
- Prophetess in Her Own Country: An Exegesis of Anne Hutchinson's 'Immediate Revelation,' (William and Mary Quarterly 57.2 [April 2000]: 349-392).
- Autobiographical Acoustics: Hearing/Speaking Divine Voices in Elizabeth Ashbridge's Account (Pacific Coast Philology 31 : 13-39)., 1996
- Preparation and Confession: Reconsidering Edmund S. Morgan's Visible Saints (New England Quartlery 67.2 [June 1994]: 298-319)., 1994
- Thinking Rules and Applications: The Value of Theoretical Criticism in Plato's Republic, ACTC 16th Annual Conference, New Brunswick, NJ, 17 April 2010.
- Agencies of Independence: Revolutionary Voice(s) and Liberating Passivity in 1776. Humanities/Teacher Education Division Symposium, 5 November 2008.
- What God Speaks Through the Events of Our Lives: Memory and Imagination in the Memoirs of Frederick Buechner, The World and Christian Imagination (2006 Pruit Memorial Symposium and Lilly Fellows Program National Research Conference), 10 Nov. 2006
- "A Loud Voice to My Inner Ear": Entanglements and Transformations of Language and Time in Augustine's Confessions"; Inscription conference, Abilene Christian University, 29 Sept. 2006.
- God Has Made Our Rulers Mad: Martin Luther on Sacred and Secular Politics, Great Books presentation, Raitt Recital Hall, Pepperdine University, 6 April 2006.
- Original Sin, Free Will, True Virtue, and the End for Which God Created the World: Jonathan Edwards as Missionary, Western Region Conference on Christianity and Literature, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA, 10 Mar. 2006.
- Bone of My Bone, Flesh and My Flesh: John Winthrop's Bridal Citizenship in the Twenty-First Century, American Studies Association annual conference, Washington, D.C., 3 Nov. 2005.
- The Bay/New England Psalm Book and the Poetry of Anne Bradstreet: A Consideration of Conflicting Aesthetics and Fluctuating Reputations, Society of Early Americanists, 2nd Biennial Conference, Norfolk, Virginia, 8 March 2001.
- The Treatment of Dissent in Early New England, John Winthrop's Worlds: England and New England 1588-1649, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, 17-18 Sept. 1999.
- The Image of Anne Hutchinson in the Modern American Mind, Seaver Faculty Conference, 23 Oct. 1998