Meet the Faculty
Professor of Biology
Vice Provost For Research and Strategic Initiatives
Associate Dean for Research
Frank R. Seaver Chair of Natural Science
Division: Natural Science Division
Office: Rockwell Academic Center (RAC) 125
Phone: (310) 506-4310
- B.A., Biology, Calvin College, 1984
- Ph.D., Biology, University of Kentucky, 1989
- Tropical Forest Ecology
- BIOL 109: Introduction to Animal Behavior
- BIOL 311: Introduction to Ecology
- BIOL 340: Natural History of Vertebrates
- BIOL 360: Environmental Politics and Policy
- MATH 317: Laboratory for Statistics and Experimental Design
- Keck Foundation: 2011-2015. "Developing the Undergraduate Scholars"
- Frank R. Seaver Chair in Natural Science 2000-present
- National Park Service and U.S. Geological Survey: 2009. "Survey of Flora and Fauna of National Parks" (co-P.I.s-Lee Kats, Tom Vandergon, Rodney Honeycutt, Stephen Davis, Karen Martin)
- Santa Monica Bay Restoration Project: 2003-2006. "Trancas Creek Restoration" (co-P.I.s- Lee Kats and the Mountains Restoration Trust)
- National Science Foundation Grant: 2000-2002. “REU: Undergraduate Research in Biology” (co-P.I.s- Steven Davis, Lee Kats, Tom Vandergon and Karen Martin)
- Amphibian ecology
- Conservation biology
- Stream ecology
- Tropical forest ecology.
- Bancroft, B.A., B.A. Han, C. L. Searle, L.M. Biga, D.H. Olson, L. B. Kats, J.J. Lawler
and A.R. Blaustein. (in press). Species-level correlates of susceptibility to the
pathogenic amphibian fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in the United States.
Biodiversity and Conservation.
- Blaustein, A.R., B.A. Han, R.A. Relyea, P.T.J. Johnson, J.C. Buck, S.S. Gervais and L.B.
Kats. 2011. The complexity of amphibian population declines: understanding the
role of co-factors in driving amphibian losses. Annals of the New York Acadamy of
- Kats, L.B., R. Van Dragt, G. Van Dragt, S. Rollert*, T. Thurling*, R. Johnson*, D. Cho*,
and S. Landis*. 2008. Undergraduate research: Communicating ecological field studies
to local school children through outreach and curriculum. Council on Undergraduate
Research Quarterly 29:58-62.
- Han*, B.A., L.B. Kats, R.C. Pommerening*, R.P. Ferrer, M. Murry-Ewers and A.R.
Blaustein. 2007. Behavioral avoidance of ultraviolet-B by two species of neotropical
poison-dart frogs. Biotropica 39:433-435.
- Zimmer, R.K., D.W. Schar, R.P. Ferrer, P.J. Krug, L.B. Kats and W.C. Michel. 2006.
The scent of danger: tetrodotoxin (TTX) as an olfactory cue of predation risk.
Ecological Monographs 76:585-600.
- Watters*, T.S. and L.B. Kats. 2006. Longevity and breeding pool fidelity in the
California newt (Taricha torosa): A long-term study using PIT tagging. Herpetological
- Kerby, J.L., S.P.D. Riley, L.B. Kats and P.Wilson. 2005. Barriers and flow as limiting
factors in the spread of an invasive crayfish (Procambarus clarkii) in southern California
streams. Biological Conservation 126:402-409.
- Riley, S.P.D., G.T. Busteed, L.B. Kats, T.L. Vandergon, L.F.S. Lee, R.G. Dagit, J.L.
Kerby, R. N. Fisher and R.M. Sauvajot. 2005. Effects of urbanization on the
distribution and abundance of amphibians and invasive species in southern California
streams. Conservation Biology 19:1894-1907.